AIRAID bought out by K&N

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
K&N Engineering Buys AIRAID

RIVERSIDE, Calif. – Effective May 13th, K&N Engineering has purchased the AIRAID company headquartered in Phoenix.

AIRAID was founded in 1997 with the introduction of its AIRAID Intakes brand of air intake systems. Initially developed for light trucks and sport utility vehicles, the first AIRAID kits combined an open-element cotton gauze filter with an intake tube to produce an innovative, easy-to-install intake kit that dramatically increased airflow, horsepower and torque while improving overall engine performance.

Within five years, sales proved that AIRAID’s blend of technology and state-of-the-art materials were just what the performance parts market was missing, according to K&N. AIRAID Premium Filters were introduced in November 2002, securing the brand’s place in air management for both gasoline and diesel power plants. AIRAID’s product base now includes a wide variety of AIRAID Intake Systems, PowerAid Throttle Body Spacers and OEM replacement filters.

SOURCE: K&N Engineering Buys AIRAID - aftermarketNews

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Air Raid CAI for the Raptor is a huge FAIL for those that off-road. Very poor design.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Air Raid CAI for the Raptor is a huge FAIL for those that off-road. Very poor design.

OPINION.
Not fact.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Interesting.
Wonder if they wanted the technology or just to put out the competition.

I immediately wondered the same thing.

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AIRAID bought out by K&N

Actually it is a FACT. There are multiple threads about it that show a trend. BLUF: The filter itself is too heavy/bulky for the amount of flange that is provided to connect to the intake tube near the MAF. With moderate to heavy off roading, the filter simply falls off and into the box. A few peeps have modified and jerry rigged the issue but as it comes out of the box, epic fail.

ETA: Street queens won't have this issue. [emoji12]

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I use a pre-filter and it works great for my needs. Wether it's a fail or not is subjective to where you go off-road.
With no lid, I can see why it may not be the a good choice for sandy/extremely dusty situations

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a pre-filter and it works great for my needs. Wether it's a fail or not is subjective to where you go off-road.

With no lid, I can see why it may not be the a good choice for sandy/extremely dusty situations

Note I said, moderate to heavy off roading. I'm not talking about how well it filters air, I'm talking basic design.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a big filter. That's GOOD.
Is it heavy? Well, it's smaller than a bread box. ;)
If the mating surfaces of the filter and tube are clean and you snug down the circular clamp, there shouldn't be any problems.
If you stuff a chunk of closed cell foam between the end of the filter and the inside of the air box, there will be no problems possible.
These things are really quite simple.