aFE Trans Pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a bit of an update. I was interested in the aFE trans pan, but in looking at old 2014-2015 posts on this forum, it appears there were several fitment issues.

In the last 3-4 years, has this been fixed? Has aFE fixed their cast due to the misalignment issues?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed my AFE last year. Zero issues other than the transmission filter the Ford dealership gave me didn't fit with the extension that comes with the pan. The filter was obviously different, so either it was the wrong one or Ford changed it. The pan itself was a simple install.

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my AFE last year. Zero issues other than the transmission filter the Ford dealership gave me didn't fit with the extension that comes with the pan. The filter was obviously different, so either it was the wrong one or Ford changed it. The pan itself was a simple install.

So what did you have to do with the filter? I saw in previous posts that as long as you used the motorcraft filter, you were fine?

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what did you have to do with the filter? I saw in previous posts that as long as you used the motorcraft filter, you were fine?

I just re-used my existing dealer installed filter. I had had my tranny serviced at the dealer earlier that year anyway, so I said EFF it. The filter wasn't very old.

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just re-used my existing dealer installed filter. I had had my tranny serviced at the dealer earlier that year anyway, so I said EFF it. The filter wasn't very old.

If thats the case, it sounds like they sold you the wrong filter if the replacement for your original was fine.

Did you have flush done? How much did that run you? I'm considering one myself at 36k miles.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If thats the case, it sounds like they sold you the wrong filter if the replacement for your original was fine.

Did you have flush done? How much did that run you? I'm considering one myself at 36k miles.

Yeah, I'd had the flush done. I want to say it was something like $200 or so.

Here's a tip, if you are doing the pan, you are going to lose most of your fluid anyway. See if the dealer will just put the new pan on instead of the old one since they have to do that anyway during the flush. You are going to have to pay for the extra 6-7 quarts the new pan takes.

Also, decide if you want to put a sending unit in the new pan before you install it - it's kinda fun to slap a sending unit in with fluid waiting to sploosh out at you. Ask me how I know.

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd had the flush done. I want to say it was something like $200 or so.

Here's a tip, if you are doing the pan, you are going to lose most of your fluid anyway. See if the dealer will just put the new pan on instead of the old one since they have to do that anyway during the flush. You are going to have to pay for the extra 6-7 quarts the new pan takes.

Also, decide if you want to put a sending unit in the new pan before you install it - it's kinda fun to slap a sending unit in with fluid waiting to sploosh out at you. Ask me how I know.

A sending unit?

And thats a good idea, I could probably just have them do it for me. Just a matter of trusting that they've done it right. My dealer is currently paying 2 grand to repair my truck after their tech badly scratched it during an oil change.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A sending unit?

And thats a good idea, I could probably just have them do it for me. Just a matter of trusting that they've done it right. My dealer is currently paying 2 grand to repair my truck after their tech badly scratched it during an oil change.

Sending unit - the sensor for a transmission temperature gauge. It just screws into the 1/8" port in the pan. Otherwise you put a little plug in it. I wanted a reliable transmission temp sensor since I tow a lot and the stock gauge is a joke.

The install itself is just as easy as replacing the stock pan. It just bolts into place. The only tricky part is the filter placement. It's a little finicky.