AFE stage 2 intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered and recieved afe stage 2 intake and tuner combo from 5star. Extremely happy with great service from Mike. I opened up afe intake and made sure everything was there. Overall I was very impressed, that is until I looked down the afe cai tube.

View attachment 5562
View attachment 5563

Don't know how well the pictures capture the weld splatter and build up on the inside. Definately, not smooth and the build up is 1/16th to 1/8th thick in spots. Nothing a dremel can't touch up.

Before performing clean up, I contacted Mike, and he was very quick to respond, unlike AFE.. (granted I know it was New years eve, so I am not going to be too critical, yet)

-Greg

Last edited:

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yeah please keep us posted on this one GJ - I am planning on ordering the same for my new truck.

What type of filtration did you order for yours? I looked at the offroad one but am sitting on the fence.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah please keep us posted on this one GJ - I am planning on ordering the same for my new truck.

What type of filtration did you order for yours? I looked at the offroad one but am sitting on the fence.

Dry filter, going to get the donaldson from Mike @ 5star for $100

-Greg

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why did you want a metal tube? I hear they have issues with heating up the air ultimately defeating the purpose of a Cold Air

I thought long about this.. After countless hours researching.

The incoming air is in the tube for such a short time there is minimal heat transfer. Now, if I was running twin turbochargers and concerned with detonation, I wouldnt run it.

Plus due to the length intake the metal tube does not resonate as bad as some plastic tubes.

-Greg

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score

Thanks bro, gotta love this place where our friends are so helpful!

Why did you want a metal tube? I hear they have issues with heating up the air ultimately defeating the purpose of a Cold Air

From the pics, that looks to be aluminium which dissipates heat faster than metal. Either way, the temperature difference would be marginal as the 'flow' factor needs to be considered.
The tune will be a necessity to seeing any difference though, as someone posted already that the northern climates have cold air for several days of the year already.
But my mileage goes for a shit in winter with the stock setup.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
hmm good deal

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

The tune will be a necessity to seeing any difference though, as someone posted already that the northern climates have cold air for several days of the year already.
But my mileage goes for a shit in winter with the stock setup.

MIne does this too. Why is this?