740 HP Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sigmoid

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question... It was a concern of mine to the point I considered installing a fire system. It gets pretty hot. So much so, that the rubber on the air filters were disintegrating. John at Hellion, together with Chris at DynoEdge came up with a solution, but it had nothing to do with decreasing engine bay heat.

Ultimately, I cut the breather holes in my hood bigger..they're actually really small to start with. I am also planning to put a methanol injector system on, so maybe that will lower temps a bit...probably not, but maybe.

Palerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the biggest issue with the turbo systems on these trucks, as I'm sure you're well aware of. I've been mulling over the idea of forced induction for a while now but my funds are going towards maintenance and other mods. Just curious, what do have in the system money wise?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sigmoid

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HaHaHa...Well...I had to buy my wife a Raptor of her own in order to get the green light to throw money at mine, so by that measure....A TRUCKLOAD!

The Hellion kit starts at about $11,000 I think. I added a couple of things...(got extra heat wrap for sure). I got a Cat delete kit also. Add the tuner and the Roush catback and it's probably around $13,000 for all the hardware. It's a lot...but it's ridiculous. Horsepower is expensive.

On the upside...and this is absolutely no exaggeration...my avg fuel mileage went from 12 mpg (if I drive like a girl) to 17 mpg (getting after it once in a while). At that rate it'll pay for itself in about a quarter-million miles....so....there's that.

Palerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HaHaHa...Well...I had to buy my wife a Raptor of her own in order to get the green light to throw money at mine, so by that measure....A TRUCKLOAD!

The Hellion kit starts at about $11,000 I think. I added a couple of things...(got extra heat wrap for sure). I got a Cat delete kit also. Add the tuner and the Roush catback and it's probably around $13,000 for all the hardware. It's a lot...but it's ridiculous. Horsepower is expensive.

On the upside...and this is absolutely no exaggeration...my avg fuel mileage went from 12 mpg (if I drive like a girl) to 17 mpg (getting after it once in a while). At that rate it'll pay for itself in about a quarter-million miles....so....there's that.
I'm not married so I don't have to worry about buying a second truck lol that's actually not a bad price for what you get. Whay about installation and tuning fees? Did you do any supporting mods like billet oil pump gears? And yes, I'd have to agree it does look awesome. I can imagine the torque is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

13K ain't shit in the grand scheme though. You'd easily be 20K to 30K in the hole if you traded it in on a new Raptor. A new Raptor won't keep up with that, even with mods.

The Jen2 guys (mainly the guy whose user name starts with w, and ends with hatexit) have their "6.2L potential" meme they like to use, but trucks like this prove the point. A bigger engine DOES have the potential to make power than a smaller engine. You are 100 HP over what Ford makes in the GT with it's even-higher-output TT V6.

It's too bad we can't get an all out effort from Ford on a V8 since the last GT500 was built. Fiat will eventually force their hand with all these S/C 6.2L engines they are sticking in everything. That new Grand Cherokee would be a ******* awesome daily driver. Still not quite awesome enough to overlook how crappy Fiat products are, but, almost.

Do you still have a stock bottom end?

What was done to the fuel system? Pumps, lines, injectors, boost-a-pump?

As for the cooling, yea those vents are quite a bit smaller at the bottom than the top. Good idea to open them up. If the engine itself is getting hot, you might want to look into a stand alone oil cooler. You can pull a massive amount of heat out of the engine and cooling system by cooling the oil separately. If it's the turbos radiating the heat, they make some nice heat shield/turbo wrap blankets that would probably take care of any issues with that.

OP
OP
Sigmoid

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time a get in it I cross my fingers in hope of having a Gen II line up next to me at a stoplight with visions of putting my sorry-assed Gen I in its place....Is it wrong to pray for something like that? ...oh please, oh please!

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Bottom end is stock...I imagine the tranny will be first to go. It's rated at 800 ft/lbs of torque and I'm already there...so when it breaks, I'll figure something out. I think the rear-end is pretty bulletproof...Not sure about the axles and driveshaft. I've not launched it in 4WD...That would really be awesome...but seems like a good way to break stuff (not sure if the front dif will turn loose under load if I just use it to launch).

Fuel system is stock except for the injectors. The Hellion kit comes with higher output injectors but I upgraded them to even higher output ones. the fuel pump is stock. We figured we were going to need to add a booster but we never ran out of fuel on the dyno, so $600 saved.

The heat is coming from the turbos, everything is blanketed and wrapped really, really, good. Like I posted before, I'm going to put a methanol injection system on it. That should make the engine run about hundred degrees cooler. I'm not sure how much of that transfers to heat reduction in the engine bay, maybe not much.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

All in...the performance mods on engine of this truck come to about $18k.

Last edited:

mcasseba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! Glad I sold my 14 before I saw this post.

Can't wait for a proven turbo upgrade to the 17's sometime in the future.

OP
OP
Sigmoid

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo pics

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20171004_135409.jpg
    20171004_135409.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 102