65 MPH and cruise control issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought my raptor almost about a month ago and lately ive been hearing the engine rev up every 20-30 seconds going 65mph in 6th gear. I figured that I was just accidently pressing the gas ever so slightly so I decided to turn the cruise control on while I was on the highway (flat surface). Again, 20-30 secs later I hear the engine rev up and goes back to normal right after hearing it go up. I hear it in the exhaust note and also see my MPG bar go down slightly as if I were pressing the gas. Only aftermarket mods I have on this truck is a AFE CAI and Magnaflow side exit exhaust (which the previous owner put on). I figured it was a coil over pack going out since the check engine light isn't on. I'm really dreading the idea that I will have to take it into service because I know these ford dealers always give the run around on things.

Should I get a tune up? (change COP, spark plugs and fuel filter.) any help would be great. Thank you

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a different symptom than what I was having. I had spark breakdown so I knew I needed either plugs or coils.

You need to recheck all the connection points on that CAI, it sounds like you might have a leak and the engine is trying to compensate for the unmetered air. Bad coils won't cause the engine to rev so that isn't causing this.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I bought my raptor almost about a month ago and lately ive been hearing the engine rev up every 20-30 seconds going 65mph in 6th gear. I figured that I was just accidently pressing the gas ever so slightly so I decided to turn the cruise control on while I was on the highway (flat surface). Again, 20-30 secs later I hear the engine rev up and goes back to normal right after hearing it go up. I hear it in the exhaust note and also see my MPG bar go down slightly as if I were pressing the gas. Only aftermarket mods I have on this truck is a AFE CAI and Magnaflow side exit exhaust (which the previous owner put on). I figured it was a coil over pack going out since the check engine light isn't on. I'm really dreading the idea that I will have to take it into service because I know these ford dealers always give the run around on things.

Should I get a tune up? (change COP, spark plugs and fuel filter.) any help would be great. Thank you
I wouldn't be surprised if your truck has a tune in it from the previous owner.

If you bought the truck less than 30 days ago as a certified preowned vehicle, they should cover returning the truck to stock and diagnosis the issue.
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
www.runraptorrun.com

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if your truck has a tune in it from the previous owner.

If you bought the truck less than 30 days ago as a certified preowned vehicle, they should cover returning the truck to stock and diagnosis the issue.
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

Yeah I thought it had a tune on it too but I hit the limiter the other day. Can you check if he had put a tune on it?

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

This is a different symptom than what I was having. I had spark breakdown so I knew I needed either plugs or coils.

You need to recheck all the connection points on that CAI, it sounds like you might have a leak and the engine is trying to compensate for the unmetered air. Bad coils won't cause the engine to rev so that isn't causing this.

I'll try checking the connections but everything seems to be tight

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connections were good but I did find out that it does not do the above complaint with the ac off. Maybe narrows that down?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step 1. You must find out if the vehicle PCM has been modified. Check with the place you purchased it from or you can take it to the dealer and have them check it out or .