5 Star Tuning Questionnaire!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue13

Reaction score
Its been 2 months since ive taken possession of my 13 blue flame screw raptor. Its only been recently have I had the mod bug. The 1st few weeks i kept it stock but reading up on frf on a day to day basis has given me the itch. The truck is just over 7000 kms with the full Roush exhaust, Roush CAI and a few exterior mods such as a tri-fold cover, heavy duty mud faps, discrete window visors, Rigid D and D2 fogs, Rigid 20" light bar and the mid perch mod is scheduled for sometime next week. As you can tell, I have kept the mods simple (with warranty in mind) and have done nothing to enhance the trucks potential abilities via engine mods minus the CAI.

With the truck being so new I am on the fence with the tuning from 5 star. For those who have had the tuning done I just have a few questions, may be Mike from 5 star can chime in here as well:

1) Warranty: Obviously with the truck being so new I dont want anything ruining my warranty. What are the chances of the tune ruining my ecu?
2) Installation: Not really a handyman so all the mods have been installed by either the dealership or professional installer. The 5 star website is no help and the only other source ive found is a video posted by a user(did not have a raptor) via youtube. Just by watching the video it all seems like a plug and play scenario, it is really that simple?
3) Tune back to stock: Should i ever need to bring the truck back to the dealership after i install one of the 5 star tunes can i simply run the tuner again to install the stock tune just while the truck is at the dealership? Is it even worth it to run the stock tune or just leave it be with the 5 star tune installed while at the dealership?
4) Costs: If anything was to ever happen (knock on wood) and it was due to the 5 star what has happened and how much did it cost to fix? From threads posted on frf it seems like the truck just sat up until someone from 5 stars customer service was called or this Mike person helped them out directly either by phone call or email.
5) Tuning: Reside in Alberta, Canada so there are no actual 5 star vendors around here with a dyno. I am guessing that the mailed in tuner it still perfectly fine?

If everything goes well and I hope it does. Ill have the truck all done up and this itch goes away :happy160:

Last edited:

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Mike over the phone. When it (SCT x3) arrived, I followed mike,s enclosed instructions and 10 minutes later it was done. As long as the device is updated and you get it from 5-Star. There should be no problem. Please note, I said "should". That's why you buy from mike. Restoring to stock is just as easy.

Warranty issues:
1) Unless you have a very mod friendly dealer, assume it will allow Ford to deny warranty on some engine or transmission work. There is one post on here somewhere that provides a reasonable explaination of why this could be legit.

2) there is some differing opinions on whether or not you are accomplishing anything by restore to stock before a visit to the dealer. Some say there is a miles based memory such that if you drive for 500 miles there is no longer any trace of the tune to be discover. Others believe Ford has the ability to see if a tune was ever installed. I restored to stock before the next service and just use Tow/Haul mode if I want more performance. You should really search for info here and call mike at 5-Star. Then decide for yourself. That said, I think the number of times a tune caused someone to eat the repairs, are few.

Raptorguy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been 2 months since ive taken possession of my 13 blue flame screw raptor. Its only been recently have I had the mod bug. The 1st few weeks i kept it stock but reading up on frf on a day to day basis has given me the itch. The truck is just over 7000 kms with the full Roush exhaust, Roush CAI and a few exterior mods such as a tri-fold cover, heavy duty mud faps, discrete window visors, Rigid D and D2 fogs, Rigid 20" light bar and the mid perch mod is scheduled for sometime next week. As you can tell, I have kept the mods simple (with warranty in mind) and have done nothing to enhance the trucks potential abilities via engine mods minus the CAI.

With the truck being so new I am on the fence with the tuning from 5 star. For those who have had the tuning done I just have a few questions, may be Mike from 5 star can chime in here as well:

1) Warranty: Obviously with the truck being so new I dont want anything ruining my warranty. What are the chances of the tune ruining my ecu?
2) Installation: Not really a handyman so all the mods have been installed by either the dealership or professional installer. The 5 star website is no help and the only other source ive found is a video posted by a user(did not have a raptor) via youtube. Just by watching the video it all seems like a plug and play scenario, it is really that simple?
3) Tune back to stock: Should i ever need to bring the truck back to the dealership after i install one of the 5 star tunes can i simply run the tuner again to install the stock tune just while the truck is at the dealership? Is it even worth it to run the stock tune or just leave it be with the 5 star tune installed while at the dealership?
4) Costs: If anything was to ever happen (knock on wood) and it was due to the 5 star what has happened and how much did it cost to fix? From threads posted on frf it seems like the truck just sat up until someone from 5 stars customer service was called or this Mike person helped them out directly either by phone call or email.
5) Tuning: Reside in Alberta, Canada so there are no actual 5 star vendors around here with a dyno. I am guessing that the mailed in tuner it still perfectly fine?

If everything goes well and I hope it does. Ill have the truck all done up and this itch goes away :happy160:

1. The tune will not ruin your ECU, when you take the truck back to the dealer put the stock tune back on.
2. Installation is very simple, you plug the hand held tuner into the port underneath the steering wheel and follow the directions on the screen. VERY SIMPLE. If you figured out how to post on this forum, you will have no problem installing the tune.
3. When you go to the dealer, put the stock tune back on so the dealer doesn't flash your ECU and clear the tune. If there are any issues with the tune or with the truck after installation, Mike (the owner of 5 Star) is at your service almost 24/7 to help you with any problem or question you have.
4. I have never heard of any damage occurring because of the tune. Ever.
5. When you order from 5 Star they send the tuner and tunes ready to go, no dyno needed.

I hope that helps! I have had the 5 Star tune for the last 2 years and I have been very pleased with it.

Achtung667

Reaction score
I have been looking but can't seem to find a straight answer. Do I need and aftermarket CAI with/for the 5 star tune? Or is the stock intake okay? Maybe a drop in filter?

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been looking but can't seem to find a straight answer. Do I need and aftermarket CAI with/for the 5 star tune? Or is the stock intake okay? Maybe a drop in filter?

You don't "need" a cai for a 5star tune. Mike has tunes with the stock air intake. There is a questionnaire that you wil need to accurately fill out for him when ordering your tune.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you need an aftermarket CAI no...are there ones out there that help your truck breathe better yes...I like my airaid and 5 star. running 93 performance tune on mine for over two years and they work in tandem well...

Achtung667

Reaction score
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick and straight forward replies.
So come next week I will probably give Mike a call. ( any one have his number or username? Thanks) but until then might as as well ask here any way.
so mike has tunes for stock and after market CAI's ? So as opposed to getting two different tuners I should either bite the bullet and just buy the combo ? Or can the tune be interchangeable. So say I get the stock tune now. And decided to get an aftermarket CAI say next year? Hope that make sense.
Also this is probably more so for Mike but the tune will be going in on a 2014.
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick and straight forward replies.
So come next week I will probably give Mike a call. ( any one have his number or username? Thanks) but until then might as as well ask here any way.
so mike has tunes for stock and after market CAI's ? So as opposed to getting two different tuners I should either bite the bullet and just buy the combo ? Or can the tune be interchangeable. So say I get the stock tune now. And decided to get an aftermarket CAI say next year? Hope that make sense.
Also this is probably more so for Mike but the tune will be going in on a 2014.
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed this is more a question for him. I personally run a cai, exhaust, and tune. I also would not run a cai without a tune. There are differing opinions on that but this is my preference.

Also the tune for a given octane would be different for each cai. Most engine modifications, headers, exhaust, etc. would likely cause you to need a different tune.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call Mike. He'll answer all the little questions. He is great to deal with. And If you decide to do a CAI or filter, you can probably get it from him at the same time; I did.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to disagree with Orange, there's no reason why you can't run a CAI without a tune. The trucks computer will adjust for the increased air flow. I'm not saying that the tune wouldn't be a better option, and certainly, the more proformance mods you have, the more benefits you'll receive from a custom tune. I have had an Airaid CAI almost as long as I've had the truck, I'm just now getting the Five Star treatment.