5-star Tune Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaymers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing an X4 tuner from 5-star but not sure which tunes I should get. I was thinking Performance, Daily Street and Towing all in 91 Octane. Any recommendations? I don't have anything done to my truck yet, as far as performance mods. I will have a cold air intake in the near future and can then have the tunes modified, if need be. My truck really won't be towing anything to the maximum weight. We have a diesel to tow our toy hauler. Maybe occasionally our 16' V-nose enclosed trailer. Feedback would be greatly appreciated before I pull the trigger. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
jaymers

jaymers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never put 87 in my truck and don't have 93 in my area. I fill up with 91 every fill. I can't see why I would need to purchase all levels? I'm going to buy 3 tunes. I guess my main question is should I get the economy or the tow? I know I'm getting the Performance and Daily Street for sure. I appreciate the feedback. TIA.

jmccown

Reaction score
I just flashed the 91 Performance on my raptor and OMG it's a completely different animal. It will roast the tires without applying any brake whatsoever. The throttle is much more responsive also. Now it feels like a 400+ HP vehicle.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I ran the 93 perf tune, and once I had that, I never ran any of my others except the 93 tow, when pulling something. I couldn't give up the power. I agree with Jaymers, I just cant see the need for that many options. One to tow, one for better mpg on long trips, and one to haul ass. IMO

john.rubicon.54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If running a tow tune should one still press the tow/haul mode? I only tow a light trailer with my rzr, probably combined 3,500 lbs. im running the performance 91 right now and might tow with it to see how it feels. I don't like to switch the tune so if it doesn't feel great I'll just run the 91 tow at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Honestly I ran the 93 perf tune, and once I had that, I never ran any of my others except the 93 tow, when pulling something. I couldn't give up the power. I agree with Jaymers, I just cant see the need for that many options. One to tow, one for better mpg on long trips, and one to haul ass. IMO

What would you say about a tune that did all that in one just like Ford gives you and still out performs your current tune in all aspects?! Our JDM custom tune does just that. By far superior to many of the tunes that are out there for these trucks. The multiple tune deal is a sales gimmick.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

If running a tow tune should one still press the tow/haul mode? I only tow a light trailer with my rzr, probably combined 3,500 lbs. im running the performance 91 right now and might tow with it to see how it feels. I don't like to switch the tune so if it doesn't feel great I'll just run the 91 tow at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need a tow tune, especially for 3,500 lbs. The PCM will sense the extra load from the trailer being hooked up and automatically change timing, fueling, and shifting to keep your truck safe. Just like it comes from Ford, you only need 1 good custom tune and that should do it all. Some of these shops selling 19 different tune files are in it to sell more tunes to make money. In reality your truck has learning adaptive ability in the computer that will adjust for towing, fuel economy, aggressive driving and more. To top it off Ford offers Tow/haul mode and several other driving modes to improve your trucks performance for the conditions. Tow/Haul should be used with heavy loads (which Raptors aren't meant to tow) in conditions of hill climb and descent. Call us up sometime if you want to discuss our tuning!

JimIII

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free