5 Star + Corsa Exhaust + Corsa Intake = WOW!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Well the last stage of my truck is done. I sprung for the Corsa intake and exhaust as well as the 5 star 91 performance tune and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I started off with the intake and exhaust and with just those two mods the truck seemed the breathe a bit better. When I say breathe I mean the truck didn't seem to run out steam as easy in the rpm bands like it did stock. I drove the setup for 2 weeks to let the truck adapt.

Next step was the 5Star tune with 87,89,91 Performance tunes (optimized for intake and exhaust) and 87,89 TOW tunes. Let me tell you with the tune the character of the truck has completely changed. It's hard to explain really... in stock form the truck felt strong but almost like you needed to poke and prod it to get it moving. Also you felt all of its 6k lb curb weight. With the new engine mods the truck feels as if it wants to leap from a start like its lost a few hundred lbs and just wants to run. It pulls hard all the way to redline. The transmission tuning from Mike @ 5Star is near perfect. When your on it the transmission always seems to stay right in the powerband and shifts are always FIRM. However when just cruising around the shifting is never intrusive. I've only had the tune for a 1 1/2 days so every once in a while I get a harder than ususal downshift. I believe in a few days and with some miles under my belt the adaptive strategy will well...adapt!

Also another benefit was now my Corsa intake noise went from a slightly annoying bellow from 1.7k - 2.0k rpm part throttle tip in to now a nice roar. I already did some work to the intake to reduce resonant vibration by dampening the box/lid/bracket assembly but it did not reduce the bellow...the tune got rid of it completely.

However, one thing the tune didn't do was increase the volume of the Corsa Exhaust. I knew getting into this exhaust that it was one of the quieter ones out there without any drone. But I've gotta say that at times I believe it's quieter than the stock exhaust. I think I'm going to build a straight pipe to replace the resonator to see if I can get a little more volume out of it. Hopefully still have no drone. Do you think I'll need to get another tune when I do this??

All in all I'm tremendously happy with the outcome of these mods. Truck runs stronger than ever and I have no problems laying a patch of rubber in first and second!! Not that I condone such things ;)

Last edited:

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A tune is definitely on my short list. I have the Corsa exhaust as well and know what you mean by it sometimes seeming like it's quieter than stock. I haven't removed the resonator yet (I want to, though) but you won't need a new tune for that. Keep us updated, with video of course, on how it sounds after you take the resonator out and if it picks up any drone when you do.

OP
OP
D

Dubless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just borrowed my friends GoPro so I'll be working on vids this weekend. I'll definitely post em up. I'm hoping someone will chime in here who's removed the resonator and can give us an idea of the change in exhaust note. I definitely do not want any drone!

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Curious if the tune quickens transmission kickdown when you plant your right foot. The lag time in downshifts annoys the crap out of me and it seems to have gotten more lethargic over time.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Curious if the tune quickens transmission kickdown when you plant your right foot. The lag time in downshifts annoys the crap out of me and it seems to have gotten more lethargic over time.

I've noticed this, too. Not a big fan of how our transmission shifts. Bunch of fuel saver stuff to keep the RPMs down, I would assume.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, it should. When I got a tune on my Lightning it felt like I put a new transmission in the truck. Harder/crisper upshifts (I was chirping into 3rd gear) and much quicker response when mashing the throttle (I realize it had a mechanical throttle cable but it was still noticeable).

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, it should. When I got a tune on my Lightning it felt like I put a new transmission in the truck. Harder/crisper upshifts (I was chirping into 3rd gear) and much quicker response when mashing the throttle (I realize it had a mechanical throttle cable but it was still noticeable).

I wanna hear your truck before/after deleting the resonator. If it's not loud enough for me without the resonator, I might have to rethink buying a Corsa.

OP
OP
D

Dubless

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IMO this is exactly what the 5 Star does best, transmission mgmt. Upshifts are quicker and much more firm. Also when pushed it stays in gear longer throughout the powerband. However when just cruising around it seems to shift closer to stock but with the same firm upshift. It's like installing a shift kit and higher stall converter. Except the stall is adaptive to your driving condition. Make sense?

Gonna check my local muffler shop this weekend to see if they have the flange and stainless pipe in stock. I'll weld it up myself since I can tig it nice and clean. That way i can swap then resonator section in/out depending on my mood LOL!