GEN 1 37's vs 35's for my road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got two raptors, a 2014 special edition with a svc tune and exhaust running k02s and a 2013 with a roush supercharger running 37s.
They both get around 9.4 mpg around town and a bit of highway running.

I'm heading up to Idaho from SoCal for a hunt and wondering if I would see a significant spike in better mpg if I put the 35s on the 13 for the trip or if it's so minuscule it won't matter?
Anyone have any feedback from experience that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help on the tire sizes but why take the supercharged one for better fuel economy?? I'd say take the 14 with an Eco tune if you wanna see mpgs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ocbuckeye

Ocbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help on the tire sizes but why take the supercharged one for better fuel economy?? I'd say take the 14 with an Eco tune if you wanna see mpgs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm selling the 14 before Christmas and don't want to put the miles on it. Plus the 14 has a bedrug and the backflip on it to protect my gear. The 14 is open.

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

On another note anyone know if there a roush tune out there for economy driving?

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a member on the forum/FB FRF that gets mid 13's with a roush/JDM tune.
Think he has 37's.

35's should help, but, it's a supercharged brick. Can only do so much.

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically you could get better mileage with 37's cruising on the highway than the 35's due to the gearing and lower RPMs. Around town the 35's will definitely will be better.
My vote is it's so minuscule it's definitely not worth switching them out.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hypothetically you could get better mileage with 37's cruising on the highway than the 35's due to the gearing and lower RPMs. Around town the 35's will definitely will be better.
My vote is it's so minuscule it's definitely not worth switching them out.

True. Would tire weight come into play?

Stock BFG's are 62-64lbs. And if the 37's are a toyo/nitto then they could be close to 80lb per tire.

OP
OP
Ocbuckeye

Ocbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stock BFG's are 62-64lbs. And if the 37's are a toyo/nitto then they could be close to 80lb per tire.

I would be running the special edition and a ko2 in the 35s in the 37s a method and a Toyo RT. So I would say yes on the weight, good point.

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes it does. I'm no expert but the heavier tire once it gets going has more inertia and momentum. So if you coast it actually gets better mileage than the lighter tire because the lighter tire stops rotating sooner. So this is an advantage of a heavier tire. Getting a heavier tire moving on the other hand is a different story.
On my truck when I switched to a 37 nitro (heavy) from my stock 35 I didn't notice very much difference in mileage. Ride qualities yes, but mileage only like .2 of a MPG and that is around town.
This might or might not translate on your trip depending on speed, gearing, wind etc. but it is going to be very minimal the difference in mileage. Definitely not worth my time in changing the tires even if they are on wheels.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
absolutely not. thats not how unsprung weight works. you constantly need force to move that massive tire unless you are doing nothing but downhill.

thats not how science teaches you, so im not sure why so many people have that misconception.