Jarrett's Truck 2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
You know it's a slippery slope though, a guy starts thinking that since its 2wd, you might as well do some center mount a arms. And push the engine back a bit. Might as well swap to an LS based motor since you're moving it...

Shoot, at that point, might as well pull the cab, scrap the frame and tube the whole dang thing, strip the enterior, weld the doors closed, swap to manual trans, built ls ...

Then realize you should of just built a tt from the ground up. :ROFLJest::crazy:

Sad thing is, I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing given the chance. Lol

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Done.
Going to run with the 4wd spindles for a bit to see if I notice a difference. Brenthel wants $1800 for a set of 2wd spindles...

You know it's a slippery slope though, a guy starts thinking that since its 2wd, you might as well do some center mount a arms. And push the engine back a bit. Might as well swap to an LS based motor since you're moving it...

In the words of Turkish from the movie Snatch.

"Don't think I haven't thunk about it"

Jarrett

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the words of Turkish from the movie Snatch.

"Don't think I haven't thunk about it"

Jarrett

Hah, I knew you would have, and you have the talents to make it happen. The smurfmobile just looks so clean compared to most build ups, you can tell you spent some time sitting in the shop staring at it and planning.

The 4x4 stuff came out to right around 230 pounds. Performance wise, you feel a little less weight on the front and the suspension seems to be a bit more linear at the extremes of travel, but these are nuances. 99% of raptor owners probably wouldn't notice the difference. So guys don't go stripping your 4x4 in hopes of big suspension performance gains. The best way is the old way, send svc money, they send you back suspension performance !

Jarrett I think you were feeling the long travel love as much as anything with yours and kirk's trucks. Unless the 2wd style spindle has some really big geometry advantages.?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hah, I knew you would have, and you have the talents to make it happen. The smurfmobile just looks so clean compared to most build ups, you can tell you spent some time sitting in the shop staring at it and planning.

The 4x4 stuff came out to right around 230 pounds. Performance wise, you feel a little less weight on the front and the suspension seems to be a bit more linear at the extremes of travel, but these are nuances. 99% of raptor owners probably wouldn't notice the difference. So guys don't go stripping your 4x4 in hopes of big suspension performance gains. The best way is the old way, send svc money, they send you back suspension performance !

Jarrett I think you were feeling the long travel love as much as anything with yours and kirk's trucks. Unless the 2wd style spindle has some really big geometry advantages.?

No doubt the extra travel is going to be the biggest factor in the "wow thats better than before quotient" but one thing I notice more than anything is the lack of bump steer compared to even the stock setup. When we ditched the 4wd we pushed the limits of where we could place the steering geometry and it payed off huge. If you watch some of the video that I posted in the suspension section, you will notice how little bump steer there is compared to other systems. Not because we are miracle workers, it's simply because we can move shocks where they should be to clearance room for where the steering needs to be.

To give you and idea, one of the guys who took a ride in the truck with me was in a $350,000 center mounted pre-runner the previous week and said he was blown away at how similar the two trucks felt.

Jarrett

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, so it was a geometry thing too.
It looks really good in the videos posted, as you mentioned, no sniff of bump steer.
I pulled my ******* out of my crack and ordered up the brenthel 2wd spindles, I intend to bump and strap to 18" of travel and measure the bump steer when cycling. Going to check a stock truck too. Might be an interesting advertising point for you.
I'd have driven down and dropped my truck off in the fall, for a copy of yours if you were willing, after seeing how yours turned out... In too deep now though.

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting, so it was a geometry thing too.
It looks really good in the videos posted, as you mentioned, no sniff of bump steer.
I pulled my ******* out of my crack and ordered up the brenthel 2wd spindles, I intend to bump and strap to 18" of travel and measure the bump steer when cycling. Going to check a stock truck too. Might be an interesting advertising point for you.
I'd have driven down and dropped my truck off in the fall, for a copy of yours if you were willing, after seeing how yours turned out... In too deep now though.

I'm always willing to duplicate mine for a fellow Raptor owner.

I just glanced at Brenthal's website and by the pics they posted the the 2wd upright is the way to go if someone is willing to ditch the 4wd. The A-arm looks to be located in the proper location for a hub center line and steering seems to be at much less of a dramatic angle. All good things. Like I have said, you can count on one hand the amount of unlimited off-road race-cars that have won using 4wd, but you would need 100 hands to count the number of trucks and buggies that have won running 2wd, it just simply works better for high speed bigger travel numbers.