GEN 1 Transmission running hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running 95k miles on a 10k old rebuilt transmission and transfer case. Is there any good reason my truck temp is up around 240?? 1127d40ed8d13ae3f49334e887962c28.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the outside temperature? towing? anything hard?
90 degrees outside, no towing or heavy wieght and I guess keeping around 75 to 90 for an hour.

I wouldn't be worried but somebody once told me anything above 200 degrees destroys a transmission lol

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning the bugs off your radiator, make sure both electric fans are running
Checked out the radiator and fans, they looked clean it'll be before tomorrow that I can make sure they're both running right. Still sounds like a jet everytime they turn on.

One thing did seem strange earlier today, on the way back I stopped in for gas and when I went to start the truck back up it turned over a few times stopped and then did it some more and started right up as always. I've never had it lag at all unless the battery was dead, and after that I haven't had an issue the rest of the day.

I'll include it because I've read about it on the forum, I did change my bed lights recently and I've heard those wires can be problematic and even stop it from cranking up, it's been a few weeks since the install but could that have anything to do with it or maybe a fuse is on its way out? 794041ebdee10dbd94afa1b23dd866bd.jpg995a2fd55378efbf96c5801089dd4dd7.jpgc70ad5a7c0e1d21dde248e68bd442e8f.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 AM ----------

My original transmission at around 20k miles dropped a seal and dumped the fluid out, so I thought I'd post and get advice rather than spend another 6.5k and not to mention the months of having my daily driver in the shop again!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need to replace your canister purge valve if after getting gas the engine turns over and doesn't start for awhile. Eventually you will flood the cats and they will throw codes, then your stupid ford tech will tell you that you need new cats when you don't.

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you confirmed that the fluid level is good?
I have not yet. I will tomorrow I remember how tough that dipstick is to get to and check.... Right between the cats and the transmission, niiiice and toasty.

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

You need to replace your canister purge valve if after getting gas the engine turns over and doesn't start for awhile. Eventually you will flood the cats and they will throw codes, then your stupid ford tech will tell you that you need new cats when you don't.
I'll definitely look into this, thank ya thank ya!