Thinking about a 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 5 star tuner for my 5.4. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with them? Are they worth the 4 hundred or so bucks?

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine works great. I have run both the 93 and 91 octane tunes without issue. First canned tune ever that was worth a shit for me.

Mods: Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, dual 3" exhaust, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the 93 Octane all the time, so do you set it once and forget it?
I met a guy at Basspro here with a Molten and he flashed the transmitter at me and said he had the 5Star. Is it a pain to change like when I go west and only see 90 Ocatane?

modz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running a 93 performance tune, very responsive pedal.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run the 93 Octane all the time, so do you set it once and forget it?
I met a guy at Basspro here with a Molten and he flashed the transmitter at me and said he had the 5Star. Is it a pain to change like when I go west and only see 90 Ocatane?

Takes a couple of minutes. I keep my tuner in the glove box so I can change from 93 to 91 and back to 93. Tuner is good for checking the "check engine light" and removing the speed limiter. I've hit 125mph in my Raptor.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I too am thinking about getting one of these. I wanted to hold out for HPTuners to support 6.2Ls as I love doing this myself, but am guessing that's never going to happen. And if it does, I can always untune mine and sell it.

Do you all see any economy gain/loss with them running stock? Are they bumping timing up at cruising-type throttle/RPM? (I probably should email them directly on this.)

And knock sensors will still override the tune and send you back to 87-level timing #s in the event someone accidentally puts 87 in it, correct?

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Takes a couple of minutes. I keep my tuner in the glove box so I can change from 93 to 91 and back to 93. Tuner is good for checking the "check engine light" and removing the speed limiter. I've hit 125mph in my Raptor.

125!? You just sold a 5Star.
Wish I had bought it when they were on sale a while back.
Thanks

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one I still have for my 6.2 I bought from 5Star.

According to them, you can have it reprogrammed to match your truck, not sure of the price.. if you're interested I can work you a deal.

Pm me if interested.