Superchips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegasfergie

Reaction score
That's awsome if those numbers are true! I may have to get one! Of course the question will be what does that do to the offroad mode???

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds too good to be true. It'll be nice if the numbers are true...but again what about "offroad mode."

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Here's my reply from the other forum on this very video........

"O.k., so it looks like it's actually a 3hp increase over peak with just the tuner and 12hp over peak with tuner and CAI. Looking at the graph......(give or take a couple)

Peak HP
Stock - 235hp
w/ tuner - 238hp
w/ tuner and cai - 247hp

Peak TQ
stock - 247tq
w/ tuner - 265tq
w/tuner and cai - 270tq

Now some might think that when they see these higher numbers it's over peak, which it's not. You're not taking 235hp @ the wheels and making 268hp now...just a clarification for some of you. They see that much of an increase over the midrange power, which is nice. So the to those who are not so knowledgable on the subject, the numbers may be a bit misleading. The tuner is only making 3-5hp more total, it's just bringing it on alot earlier. There should probably be a disclaimer saying "33hp increase over the mid-range". The tq follows along pretty well but makes it's peak about 200rpm later than stock and carries the curve out a bit more."

This why people say they can feel the difference in it with this mod, because it makes all that extra power in the mid-range. But like I said above, don't expect to be adding this much power to the peak number.

OP
OP
frogslinger

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the terms peak horsepower and peak torque is that they can have two very different meanings... most people think they are the highest points in the curve... however peak gains of 35 hp can also mean "the biggest difference between the old and new curves at the same RPM is 35 HP"

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Winnah winnah. That right there is Marketing 101.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
The problem with the terms peak horsepower and peak torque is that they can have two very different meanings... most people think they are the highest points in the curve... however peak gains of 35 hp can also mean "the biggest difference between the old and new curves at the same RPM is 35 HP"

Very true. We know this but, does everyone else? I think it's safe to say that when the term "peak" is used, most automatically think of the actual peak in the higher range. Just like alot of people will see the "such and such increase in hp and tq" and add that number to the stock or current highest number.

OP
OP
frogslinger

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a real problem with Hybrids... they have two motors with very different output curves...

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The most interesting thing I saw in this video is the graphics on the truck... looks like one of the Ford auto show trucks... I wonder if Ford loaned Superchips the Raptor?

And perhaps to Superchips credit... they did not use the word "peak"... they simply announced the "addition" of HP and Torque to the rear wheels without saying anything about where in the power curve it happens.

The website actually says this tune does NOT support a CAI and doesn't say anything about the off road mode.