Rough Idle when raining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monk99

Reaction score
My truck just started having a very rough idle, but only when it's raining out. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated. I have the 5.4. No CEL so far. Going to clean the MAF and throttle body tonight. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck just started having a very rough idle, but only when it's raining out. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated. I have the 5.4. No CEL so far. Going to clean the MAF and throttle body tonight. Any other ideas?

How many miles does your truck have? Has it had a tune up?

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure everything is tight and secure. Loose fittings and connections. Like your intake for example.

OP
OP
monk99

monk99

Reaction score
Make sure everything is tight and secure. Loose fittings and connections. Like your intake for example.

Would a tear in the rubber connector that connects the cold air intake to the throttle body cause something like this? I found a big tear in the hose earlier today.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would a tear in the rubber connector that connects the cold air intake to the throttle body cause something like this? I found a big tear in the hose earlier today.

It could definitely, because air could be entering the intake, and that far up it is past the MAF sensor which adjusts the air/fuel ratio

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most definitely can. It messes with the fuel to air and even the slightest can change the performance of the truck.

OP
OP
monk99

monk99

Reaction score
So it's not the air intake. Took it to Ford and of course it works fine the whole time. Get it home and it acts up again. Attached a video of the issue. The pops at the beginning you hear are coming from the intake. Could it be bad coils? Plugs? This only happens every so often. https://youtu.be/DSFYdL0pIwE

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the giant crack in the air intake tract just before the throttle body ? :eek:

Wasn't sure if it was my eyes or the video quality/lack of zoom, but man that thing is allowing un-metered air in like a **** !

Could you try re-installing the factory air intake tract (don't forget to disconnect battery/re-learn PCM) to see how the truck idles/runs ?