Dyno Tuning Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Off Road WannaBe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first vehicle i'v had that i'v wanted to tune up and put some mods on cai headers exhaust the usual stuff...but i worry about mail order tunes because i'v heard stories of guys ordering tunes from the south where the air is thinner and dryer and putting them on there car up here in the north and destroying their motor in a matter of months.

There is one dyno tuner close to where i live i sent them an email this morning to see what they can do and what tuning programs they use but from their website it looks like diablosport, but in the mean time figured i ask you guys the questions as well. If i order a tune from 5star and put it on the truck can any tuner plug in and modify that tune? so i can keep the work mike has done with shifting and the off road mode and get the A/f adjusted to my area or would the tuner have to start right from scratch? Does a tune rewrite the whole ecm or just the parts that have changed?

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of guys up in the northern part of the country and even in Canada that have mikes tunes from 5star and they haven't had any problems that I've heard of. I was in Texas for a long time and now I'm in Georgia and my truck has been running fine. I'm not sure if mike has taken that into consideration and all about altitude and the air density differences between north and south but you could ask him and see if there's a difference. Never hurts to ask. Good luck with it all I'm curious to see what they have to say

Franchi

Reaction score
If getting a custom tune like 5 Star, most tuners lock out their tunes so others can't mess with them. That being said, I wouldn't worry about air differences from tunes long as you go with a quality tuner who knows what he is doing writing your tune, you be fine.

Stainless Works

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mike at 5-Star tuning is excellent, he has been around for a number of years and really knows what he is doing, check with him on some of the questions you asked, he is honest and will give you a straight answer. A+++ for 5-Star. Also, I believe there are different levels of tune, from mild to aggressive but double check.