CAI Risks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StLRaptor

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the newbie question and if it has already been addressed. I've been looking at getting a CAI installed and have been told that its risky because it can lead to hydrolock (or at least increasing the risk while off-road). Can anybody shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I don't have one for this reason. Different brands include varying levels of protection, but none are engineered against dirt/water ingestion nearly as well as the stock Ford item.

Saw a guy with a Dodge Dakota kill his motor driving fast through a foot-deep puddle once (fully open element setup with absolutely no protection).

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
same with the AFE stage 2 CAI the box that comes with it replaces the OEM one and its pretty sealed off from water and stuff like that but i try to stay away from large puddles and if i cant then i drive through them slowly i dont really wanna take that chance of finding out how well it keeps the water out haha

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was worried about this as well. I ended up with the Roush CAI. My dealer said it was good as stock.

Honestly, the chances of a CAI having anything to do with your warranty is slim to none, but after modding my last daily driver and spinning a rod bearing, i'm not going to play around with the warranty.

OP
OP
S

StLRaptor

Reaction score
So would the best option be to have the dealer do it? So it doesn't screw up the warranty or is it pretty simple to do?

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Side note: I have a 2010 Raptor 5.4

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the newbie question and if it has already been addressed. I've been looking at getting a CAI installed and have been told that its risky because it can lead to hydrolock (or at least increasing the risk while off-road). Can anybody shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks

Just don't fly though rivers at 40mph and you'll be fine. I've had an open intake on my Jeep for years and never had any trouble.

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't spent very much time in NE, but I do have a good buddy just north of Big Springs, NE (and I'm in Big Spring TX now!). Having been in that area a little to hang out with him, I think your going to want a fully enclosed box like the AFE stage 2 from 5 Star, and a filter with top level filtration. You have pretty good areas to go off roading up there and they vary from creeks, to sand hills with lots of dust and wind??? I think! So an enclosed box to keep the water out and a great filter to keep that dust out. I've run K&N's before and there always ended up being dust in the tube. Just got me AFE from 5 Star today, so I haven't put it on yet, but it would be my best guestimate that it will work well for you too. If your concerned about hydrolock I guess you've got some places to run up and down the North Platte? Beautiful area there, I wanted to run my Raptor thru there, but had to settle for some sand hills instead!

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the very best filtration I'd get the Volant because of the Donaldson Power Core filter

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ANY intake system can become flooded either by water of excessive depth or excessive speed through water. There are no guarantees against water ingestion short of a snorkel. Your best defense against water ingestion is sound judgment.

Since the Owners Manual strictly warns against an "improper air filter," whether or not your dealer installs an aftermarket CAI may be immaterial when it comes to warranty issues.