Bucking under load.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a age CAI. I noticed a slight bucking/ hesitation while going up hill while in a higher gear. When I installed my 5 star tune it is way more noticeable. When brought back to complete stock I can't get it to do it. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unmetered air (a boot/elbow not seated all the way).. Is the first thing i would check for...

How many miles on the truck...
15k or above it could be canister purge valve.. If you hear a ticking sound from the back of the intake, and hesitation loss of power, erratic idling when cold (but stops when warmed up), back firing..

Then it needs to be replaced.

Check this thread...
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=333933

How to stop clogged CPV? Get an air/oil separator to keep oily bypass gasses/carbon out of it.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=400885

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked all my boots and connections. I couldn't see where any unmetered air would be getting in.
I have 41k on the truck

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Idles fine. No backfires.
Stock it is fine. With CAI it does it a little going up long hills. With a tune it is exaggerated

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hey greg how long does that ticking last on cold start up? ive noticed a loss of power and when i do the remote start there is some major clicking for about 10 seconds and then it stops, (its been warmer here so not sure how long it used to last)

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Loss of power after start up with failing canister purge valve, the computer is in open loop until certain criteria is met. With valve not fully closing/opening it is allowing more unmetered air to enter the system.

After the sensors are heated up, the Raptor goes into closed loop and the O2 sensors make their corrections.

The computer will go back into open loop under a variety of conditions. Throttle Position (TP) is one way.

There are parameters in the computer that determine what the TP is for Open Loop, and other things.

When that TP is reached, and the Raptor goes open loop, and richens up.

OP
OP
G

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Cpv will it hesitate through out or certain situations like mine. Would a programmer exaggerate the symptoms?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will say.. I had hesitation, cold start issues, dying, rough idle.. Raptor been on the flat bed twice and dealer and they couldn't duplicate issue.. Took off tune, and it got better but didn't resolve issue, removed cai, still happened. Finally, dug on interwebs and found issues with cpv on other f150... So took a chance on part and surprise it fixed the issue..

OP
OP
G

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I will listen for the ticking and other symptoms. But I haven't noticed anything at idle

OP
OP
G

GRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ticking other than from the spark plugs.
Sprayed starting fluid on all the joints and couplers on the CAI. Engine never idled up.
I did notice that it idled a tiny bit rough. The normal person wouldn't notice it.