Anyone having tune issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I expect that performance gives the best power, economy the best fuel mileage...

I would disagree with the 93 performance and 'best' fuel economy....I run the 93 performance and here you go:

I meant; "performance"=gives the best power, "economy"=the best fuel mileage :doh2:

I loaded the 87 Performance tune last night and went for a spirited test drive. Feels a lot stronger down low...and no more lag with shifts...even my fuel mileage went up, and I drove it much more aggressive this time, with several stop light take offs and rolling WOT highway downshifts. With the 87 tune and a heavy foot, I achieved better gas mileage than I had gotten when driving it moderately easy on the factory tune.

I'm VERY please with the 87 Performance tune...and I'm looking forward to being able to fill up with a tank of 93, and then load the 93 Performance tune to see/feel those results.

Last edited:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on this, and I was hoping a 87 performance tune would give me grins and mpgs. But the tuner I want comes with 6 tunes. How could I not at least try the 93 performance tune? But then, would I ever want to go back to 87?

First world problem. I shall attempt to solve it and have fun trying...

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on this, and I was hoping a 87 performance tune would give me grins and mpgs. But the tuner I want comes with 6 tunes. How could I not at least try the 93 performance tune? But then, would I ever want to go back to 87?

First world problem. I shall attempt to solve it and have fun trying...

The only thing keeping me from installing my 93 tune...I filled up the tank with 87 the day before the tuner arrived.

And I'm still at half a tank :suicide:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah i was confused on your post...but from my experience the 93 is the tune for me ...Now I only have 19.5k on a 2011, so I am not packing on the miles...

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zboater,

I get maybe 1-1.5 mpg better on the 87 perf than the original factory tune. It was close to 2-2.5 on the economy. I am regularly at 12.5 per gallon on the 87 perf tune. I think that is a little low. Anyone have their mpg on 87perf? Been using it for month's now strictly, except when I am feeling saucy and load up the 93 perf. Quite a difference there.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm consistently at 11.5mpg now given my driving habits. So I'm looking forward to seeing what a tune will do.

TurboEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5star 93perf is a great engine tune but the trans tune is aggressive. That is where the mpg goes down most I believe. For daily driving in the city it can get annoying imo. Just because it gets the truck engine braking a lot. I'm on it again this 93oct tank and will go back and forth with the SCT 93oct tune.

When idle in neutral at times it seemed the fans would go into overdrive (noisy) for a couple seconds then settle down. Noticed that last reflash of that tune. Will watch out for that this time around.

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

OP. You should just do it. It will be fine. I have reflashed mine like 10 times in a month or so. Do it with my other cars frequently. Zero issues.