Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-5.4 Liter Triton V8 [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-5.4 Liter Triton V8 [GEN 1]

Anyone having tune issues?

This is a discussion on Anyone having tune issues? within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-5.4 Liter Triton V8 [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
Lets ask this question.... Can you change your tune often? Does this affect anything? I'm assuming if anything the ECU. ...

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Lets ask this question.... Can you change your tune often? Does this affect anything? I'm assuming if anything the ECU. I've had custom tunes before on my other cars but nothing I could change on the fly like the SCT tuners allows you to do. Well I did have a cobb accessport for my WRX that could tune the ECU like the SCT does.

"You Can't Trust Freedom When It's Not In Your Hands"
jrodrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by jrodrg View Post
Can you change your tune often?

Does this affect anything?
Yes

No

2013 Stock Perch Oxford White Super Crew | Northing 3.0 door detents | The Tune by SVC | 5star tunes | SCT X4 | Seat Belt chime off | Fibermax | BedRug | 4 Hella Rallye 1000 | Ford Lightbar | 4 D2 fogs driving beam | HomeLink rearview | Icecobra stainless doorsill protectors f+r | SVT licensed plate frame | NuShield DayVue | Machined Method NV | ProComp black lugs | Nav-TV | Vince's CNC Method SVT caps black | Hula dance doll
TurboEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

U can change the tune as many times u like. Nothing will go wrong just remember every time u flash a new tune in the computer needs to relearn so it may run or shift a bit odd but will smooth out. Nothing serious just some little weird things for a short while

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 Silver Screw Saints Offroad Front Bumper, mid perch, Retrofits 3" FXR w/ Evil Eyes, SW long tube headers, lightning style exhaust, 5 Star Tunes on SCT Livewire TS, Injen CAI, Method DS black w/ machned lip, lots of LED lights, LED tails, Hornblasters kit, WSI springs, RPG PSR w/cooler & filter, etc...
NickPic83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

5 Star tune is great. Over a year, never one issue. I switch quite often between 93 performance, 93 tow, and 89 performance. You will be amazed at the difference in shift points and power. There is nothing to worry about. There are many guys here who use them. Talk to Mike at 5star. He will ease your mind.
dkfc13 likes this.

13TerrainSCREW BFG AT 37's Method Roost Rims Whipple SC 3.25 pully Afco HE 65mm TB Kooks LT headers & exhaust Dynomax VT Rear Deavers Road Armor frnt & back bumper replace Alum driveshaft JDM tune Aeroforce A-pillar pod gauges Mid-perch Rigid 20" bar 6' floods driving & wide cubes M&R hood lights amber side&hood vent lights bed lights Bak Roll-X Stub ant black grill badges skid exhaust hood wrap smoked tail&brake lts
RaptorFlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Correction. I have the 87 perf tune, 93 tow, and 93 perf. Sorry. Difference is quite substantial from 93 to 87, but then so is the cost at the pump!

13TerrainSCREW BFG AT 37's Method Roost Rims Whipple SC 3.25 pully Afco HE 65mm TB Kooks LT headers & exhaust Dynomax VT Rear Deavers Road Armor frnt & back bumper replace Alum driveshaft JDM tune Aeroforce A-pillar pod gauges Mid-perch Rigid 20" bar 6' floods driving & wide cubes M&R hood lights amber side&hood vent lights bed lights Bak Roll-X Stub ant black grill badges skid exhaust hood wrap smoked tail&brake lts
Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I just ordered my SCT Livewire with Chris' 5-Star tuning thru Freedom Motorsports.

It comes with 6 tunes, so I decided to go with; performance, economy, and towing tunes - all in both 87 and 93 octanes...

I expect that performance gives the best power, economy the best fuel mileage...but where does towing fall in comparison between performance and economy and at what point (meaning trailer size or weight) should I load the towing tune?

Oh, and what happens if one toggles the trailer/towing from the gear selector with either of these tunes?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I just ordered my SCT Livewire with Chris' 5-Star tuning thru Freedom Motorsports.

It comes with 6 tunes, so I decided to go with; performance, economy, and towing tunes - all in both 87 and 93 octanes...

I expect that performance gives the best power, economy the best fuel mileage...but where does towing fall in comparison between performance and economy and at what point (meaning trailer size or weight) should I load the towing tune?

Oh, and what happens if one toggles the trailer/towing from the gear selector with either of these tunes?
I would ask Mike at 5-star. I have used the towing tune a few times now and it is great. I only use it when the trailer is loaded (covered 6x12 trailer).

2014 Oxford White Scab
2010 Oxford White Scab #1211
dkfc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

I would disagree with the 93 performance and 'best' fuel economy....I run the 93 performance and here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
RDFTS likes this.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I agree with DKFC on the towing. Really only needed when the trailer is loaded up. I have the economy, but only ran it a few times, and did not see a big improvement. At least not enough to give up the added kick in the perf tunes.
dkfc13 likes this.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I would disagree with the 93 performance and 'best' fuel economy....I run the 93 performance and here you go:
What was your mpg before the tune?

(SOLD)2013 Ford SVT Raptor SCREW Tuxedo Black * Roush CAI * Borla ProXS 40349 exhaust with Ford Racing tail pipes and resonator delete * Pro Comp Xtreme MT2 315/70R17 tires * AMP Research Power Steps * The Tune v1 by SVC
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote