5.4l sparkplug removal dangers ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matdaddy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if changing or checking gapping would be dangerous on our 2010 5.4l's?

I'm aware the older 5.4l have a tendency of breaking the plugs but do our trucks suffer the same issue ? I need to check gapping and I'm a little hesitant to give this a try .

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

2004-2008
http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty Recalls/tsb08-07-06 FORD.pdf

Has anyone done this task without issue ?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I changed all mine at about 55k and I didn't have any problems.
Just be gentle.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What we do at my shop is get the truck the day before we plan on working on it, run a can of engine decarb directly into the intake as fast as it will take it, thru a vacuum line at the rear of the intake. Shut off the engine and pull the coils, then we spray blaster which is a thread loosening spray onto the spark plug holes. Wait till the next day and they come out nice and easy. Haven't broke one yet with this method. The carbon in the engine collects around the long metal tube at the end of the plug and basically grows onto the plug end. The decarb loosen the grip. My friend who works exclusively on ford trucks says they use a 3/8 impact gun and just zing them out. I'm not that brave. e2u4yqes.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
I believe they corrected this issue in 2009. If you have the brown spark plug wire boots you should be fine. I don't think any of the Raptors were made with the old "problem" plugs. I have pulled a few of mine with no issues.

I believe these trucks come with fine wire electrodes. I think they are designed to be pre-gapped. If you try and re-gap you will likely damage the electrode.

OP
OP
M

matdaddy

Reaction score
I believe they corrected this issue in 2009. If you have the brown spark plug wire boots you should be fine. I don't think any of the Raptors were made with the old "problem" plugs. I have pulled a few of mine with no issues.

I believe these trucks come with fine wire electrodes. I think they are designed to be pre-gapped. If you try and re-gap you will likely damage the electrode.

You sir are are correct . Brown boots = no problem .
Bought the tool for nothing . Used a 3/8 impact with the sea foam lubricant no problems . Pulled the plugs and gapped everything at .030 in less then 75mins.

Might have pulled a stupid one using as little a possible never seas on the treads to help for next time so will see how that works out .

Thanks guys!

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Champion has a plug to replace the troublesome motorcraft plug that easily comes apart when removing them. It is redesigned to not be a 2 piece plug that the carbon can build up on and cause the motorcraft plug to pull apart.
That is the only plug that I have seen as a replacement. The plugs are not cheap either. Best price I've seen has been amazon for the champion at between $12 and $15 ea. Good luck. I hope you guys are right about the changes in 2009. I'm ready to change mine out now so I will try the decarb trick and the impact.