5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I test drove a 6.2L Raptor today. I've been considering trading in for the 6.2 since I believe that the 5.4 is a tad under powered.

I was a little surprised. Yes, the 6.2 is more powerful, and it does get up and go, but it's not a game-changer. Granted, I only drove the 6.2 around the block on pavement, but I didn't leave the dealership feeling like I needed to upgrade.

On the plus side, the 6.2 seems to fit the 6-speed transmission a little better. My expereince with the 5.4 and the tranny is that it likes to shift a lot. The 6.2 wasn't doing that as much for me.

Anyways, I figured I would share...

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the 6.2 has a flatter TQ curve, so it will do better at highway speeds and up big hills...
The 5.4 has a more typical truck torque curve so does not lag far behind the 6.2 on the low end...

Question... all the articles say that trailer mode should fix the 5.4... from what I understand the engine and tranny were tuned weirdly to game the gas mileage numbers... as the 6.2 has no numbers no gaming was needed so the tranny is free to work for best performance not best economy...

Would be interesting to copy a 6.2 tranny tune into a 5.4

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you said is true Frog, I've found while driving in light to light traffic the truck responds better in trailer mode. When not in trailer mode, it's very hard to get used to the sluggish feel. The 5.4 gets up and goes there is just something about the transmission tuning and the suspension thet made the truck seem under powered. It was something I noticed the first time I turned the horses loose on my truck. You mash the gas, the rear squats, the front pops up and you're truck stops pulling before you know it because the needle is hovering over the 100 mark on the speedo. The 5.4 power is deceptive!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What you said is true Frog, I've found while driving in light to light traffic the truck responds better in trailer mode. When not in trailer mode, it's very hard to get used to the sluggish feel. The 5.4 gets up and goes there is just something about the transmission tuning and the suspension thet made the truck seem under powered. It was something I noticed the first time I turned the horses loose on my truck. You mash the gas, the rear squats, the front pops up and you're truck stops pulling before you know it because the needle is hovering over the 100 mark on the speedo. The 5.4 power is deceptive!

So the 5.4L is more street-able using the trailer mode? I have test drove both trucks on the hwy and noticed the shifting more with the 5.4L more than the 6.2L. That is about the only real issue I have with the 5.4L...outside of being used to 400hp with my current truck.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trailer tow mode changes your shift points and allows the engine to stay in its power band (actually torque band but hey) longer... this gives the truck a little extra pep but drops fuel mileage by a couple...

Or so I have heard.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trailer tow mode changes your shift points and allows the engine to stay in its power band (actually torque band but hey) longer... this gives the truck a little extra pep but drops fuel mileage by a couple...

Or so I have heard.

It would be interesting to see how this effects the fuel economy. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm thinking if anything the fuel economy would stay the same or maybe do better since the gear box isn't constantly shifting gears.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how this effects the fuel economy. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm thinking if anything the fuel economy would stay the same or maybe do better since the gear box isn't constantly shifting gears.

Shifting gears does not hurt gas mileage... running at high RPM does... if you can force the engine to run at lower RPM anrd higher load you can eke out about a 10-15 percent advantage on a modern motor...

If you are familiar with GM vehicles the V8 manuals generally have CAGS which forces the car from first to fourth gear under normal conditions... this causes that low RPM high load scenario I mentioned. It may seem counter intuitive but the best analogy is this... if you drive down the highway in 3rd you are running at a lower percentage of engine output at that RPM but you will be getting worse gas mileage than in 6th...

Down shifting does not help gas mileage it is only supposed to occur when the vehicle thinks that required output in a gear is going to be higher than available output in that gear. Gotta love torque multiplication.

I wonder how they managed to not have to rate for fuel economy... By changing the GVWR up to 7000#?

I think so.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 5.4L raptor but originally had a 6.2 on order. I had the chance to test drive the new 6.2 a couple of days ago.

Here is my review:

- I was expecting more power from the 6.2, I think due to the hype in the forums. In the low end it felt very similar to my 5.4. Down shifts had a bit more pull on the freeway but honestly if someone switched my 5.4 for a 6.2 in my garage. I don't think I could tell with daily driving.

- The shifting is smoother on the 6.2. I still felt a bit of lag while waiting for a down shift. The only difference is the 5.4 is a bit jerky or slow in 2nd. Other than that they feel the same.

- In regards to sound, can't really tell much of a difference. I think the 6.2 idle's smoother while the 5.4 has more of a grumble.

I floored the 6.2 for about 3-4 seconds. I got some tire chirp and the felt a good amount more push behind me than the 5.4L. I really think the suspension on both motors gives the truck a slow feel.

I don't know what the 6.2 does on dirt. I would assume it acts just like the 5.4 smooth progressive power. I'm glad the 6.2 doesn't have to much aggressive TQ because that would make it lose traction IMO.

The major difference is at higher RPM's and high speed or up hill freeway travel.

To sum my experience up, I would rather have the 6.2 but the 5.4 is no slouch. I wound not trade in my 5.4 for a 6.2. If your one of those guys who is willing to take a 10k+ hit on it I suggest you go ahead and save up for the Raptor XT or spend the cash modding your 5.4L.

3k is a great value for a 6.2 over a 5.4 but not if your going to trade in your 5.4 and get hit.