Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-5.4 Liter Triton V8 [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-5.4 Liter Triton V8 [GEN 1]

3000rpm stall converter

This is a discussion on 3000rpm stall converter within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-5.4 Liter Triton V8 [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
I'm really interested in having a higher stall converter put on. Saw the truck a TRR with it and it ...

User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By whtrapta
  • 1 Post By 2004boss
  • 2 Post By Chris Crampton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ostrich Wrangler

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 3000rpm stall converter
I'm really interested in having a higher stall converter put on. Saw the truck a TRR with it and it was so cool. Anyone have experience with one? This is still my daily driver too
mlpmail likes this.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Would not be fun for long in a dd unless it was a low stall. They tend to create more heat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
KaiserM715 likes this.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Originally Posted by 2004boss View Post
Would not be fun for long in a dd unless it was a low stall. They tend to create more heat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Exactly.

On streets and highway it will not make too much heat just cruising, but apply any load(ie, hills, towing, rock crawling, uphill sand washes, etc.) you would have to be "coupled". Meaning that you would need to be out of the Tq multiplication or stall region to dramatically reduce the heat created in the converter.

The main reason for higher stalls is some high performance engines need the slip at the bottom end to allow the power band to ramp up quickly and couple were the engine starts to build its real power and torque.

It can be done, but under certain situations you'll have to drive the truck sporty to keep the heat in check. Also driving the truck harder will add heat in engine coolant and oil.

For example, in our race cars we have converter in and out temps with psi sensors. This is so we can drive the truck accordingly to what it needs to keep it happy.

This topic can become very complex.
Sorry for the ramble, I'm drinking. Cheers.
cups and NickPic83 like this.

chriscrampton.com
Chris Crampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

My 45ft Bluewater Party

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Heat and way shitter MPGs if you care about mpgs

2012 Red Screw... My customized ADD rear bumperwith fog lights from a Jag :) as backup lights, ADD front race bumper, my own custom CAI, F/R Icon Shocks, Icon bump stop, WSI HD rear springs, 83000 lumens of BAJA lights, Bedslide for all my stuff and A.R.E overland cap
Check out my build page

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f65/h...r-build-14948/

Porcelain Black... Go Detroit!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9LCHgpzfxQ
Hockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Chris Crampton View Post
Exactly.

On streets and highway it will not make too much heat just cruising, but apply any load(ie, hills, towing, rock crawling, uphill sand washes, etc.) you would have to be "coupled". Meaning that you would need to be out of the Tq multiplication or stall region to dramatically reduce the heat created in the converter.

The main reason for higher stalls is some high performance engines need the slip at the bottom end to allow the power band to ramp up quickly and couple were the engine starts to build its real power and torque.

It can be done, but under certain situations you'll have to drive the truck sporty to keep the heat in check. Also driving the truck harder will add heat in engine coolant and oil.

For example, in our race cars we have converter in and out temps with psi sensors. This is so we can drive the truck accordingly to what it needs to keep it happy.

This topic can become very complex.
Sorry for the ramble, I'm drinking. Cheers.
Good explanation

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 Silver Screw Saints Offroad Front Bumper, mid perch, Retrofits 3" FXR w/ Evil Eyes, SW long tube headers, lightning style exhaust, 5 Star Tunes on SCT Livewire TS, Injen CAI, Method DS black w/ machned lip, lots of LED lights, LED tails, Hornblasters kit, WSI springs, RPG PSR w/cooler & filter, etc...
NickPic83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Had a 3000 stall in built V-8 Ranger 4x4 I had and did not like at all driving on the street. Ended up pulling trans and installing lower in it.

SVT_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote