GROUP BUY: MBRP Turn Down WITH Resonator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I gotta try this. IN for the aluminized.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Excellent. You're #4, just need 1 more to place the initial order!

I'm trying to decide between the T409 and Aluminized version. I have co-worker with an oven who I plan to have apply a ceramic coating to the exhaust for me... inside and out. Is it worth it to spend the extra money on the T409 version if I'm going to have this done?

Will he apply the coating to the inside of the muffler too? If not, I'd get the stainless. Moisture inside the muffler will ultimately contribute to the demise of the aluminized after several years.

sb127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been debating a turndown for a bit. I'm on the fence right now. Will these be ready by TRR?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally, for about a 17% price difference I see no reason to not go stainless. Yeah, you'll still see surface rust due to iron content, but the exhaust will NOT ever rust through. Also, any surface coating can wear away. If the coating wears away on the outside you can touch it up. If it wears away internally you won't know. If you live in a climate that's very dry and where salt is never used then aluminized is probably the way to go. Otherwise, I'd go T409. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the factory exhaust is made of T409 or similar. I see no reason to downgrade materials for what's basically supposed to be an aftermarket upgrade.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If the aluminized version is dipped right, there shouldn't be any problems with corrosion.

"Aluminized steel is highly resistant to corrosion because of the thin layers of aluminium and silicon, which keep the underlying steel from oxidizing. These thin layers also keep pit corrosion from occurring, especially during exposure to salts that affect most other metals. However, despite the good corrosion resistance of aluminized steel, if the aluminium layer is disrupted and the steel is exposed, then the steel may oxidize and corrosion may occur."

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On this group buy...is the resonator welded inline...so no going without the res?

OP
OP
G

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Been debating a turndown for a bit. I'm on the fence right now. Will these be ready by TRR?

It will be close. MBRP quoted 3-5 weeks for them to ship to us.

Personally, for about a 17% price difference I see no reason to not go stainless. Yeah, you'll still see surface rust due to iron content, but the exhaust will NOT ever rust through. Also, any surface coating can wear away. If the coating wears away on the outside you can touch it up. If it wears away internally you won't know. If you live in a climate that's very dry and where salt is never used then aluminized is probably the way to go. Otherwise, I'd go T409. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the factory exhaust is made of T409 or similar. I see no reason to downgrade materials for what's basically supposed to be an aftermarket upgrade.

You are spot on, sir.

On this group buy...is the resonator welded inline...so no going without the res?

Yes, it's welded in. If you want the flexibility to swap it out, you could easily and cheaply cut and slot the section of pipe the resonator is in and then get a small length of pipe, slot it and with a couple clamps you could swap them out quickly.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking on experience of not having the resonator on my magnaflow...get the resonator and stick with it. A good resonator won't make the exhaust any quieter - it will just eliminate resonance and vibration at certain frequencies to help eliminate any drone. It should keep the same tone and sound with or without the resonator.

There is a guy in the HARO group with the same exhaust I have but he has kept the resonator. Our exhaust sounds identical except he has no drone on the highway whereas I have a slight drone at 2k RPMs.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The resonator from MBRP also requires $35 for shipping, so it's over $300 for just the pipe.

The drone on the regular turndown is pretty obnoxious - but it gets a little better as you learn to live with it. I would love to hear the difference side by side. I really don't want to give up the nasty growl of the turndown.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice. Maybe Andy can get the order placed Monday or Tuesday after taking payment since we've got five orders lined up now. I figure the sooner the better based on the quoted lead time of three to five weeks.