Ford ******** me on my 14 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeloA&P

Reaction score
So I bought a 14 Raptor off the lot at HALL FORD Elizabeth City. After owning for little over 2 weeks, and being away for travel for almost a week of that time. I Noticed a chip in the fiberglass on the front left fender at the door seam. I have not had my truck anywhere this could have happened i.e. off road, mudding, or any other place to cause the damage. It could not have been cause by a "door ding". There is NO impact or tooling damage in the area, and there is no way road debris could have caused this without leaving some kind of mark in the surrounding area.

The first weekend that was nice I detailed the Raptor. I noticed the chip and the paint cracking around the adjacent areas and called the dealership immediately. The sent pictures to FORD and told me to wait a couple days and they will have an answer. They assured me it would be "Taken Care of". The Service Employee even agreed this is not a typical issue.

Ford Denied the claim under the clause stating that i did not notice it in the first 7 days of ownership so it is my problem.....

My problem with that statement is. This defect was created at the factory and painted over. It took a few hundred miles for it to show up and for the chip to come loose from the fender. It is 100% obvious this is what happened, but since it wasn't noticed until after 2 weeks of ownership I have to live with a truck that is less that new and already devaluated due to the damage. I own a 2013 Lincoln MKT, a 2014 RAPTOR, and traded a 2013 FX4 for the RAPTOR. I have spent over 150k with FORD MOTOR COMPANY in the last YEAR... i.e. 12 months.... and this is how they treat a LOYAL customer. I never thought I would see the day FORD didn't stand behind their products and correct an obvious flaw.

I am attaching pictures. In these Photos you can see there is no impact damage other that the chipping area that is spreading "up". The 2 marks to the left of the chip are not scratches. They are cracking paint under the clear. You cannot pick them up with a fingernail. Same goes for the mark underneath it.

I have to explain my expertise in my opinion. I work for NASA as a Quality Inspector. My area of focus is Aircraft Maintenance, and Research Equipment Installation. Basically we fly projects on our planes that end up in space as satellites. I know composite work. I know how to identify flaws in composite work. I have been in this profession for many years. This is 100% a defect in the glass work done, that was painted over. It took a few hundred miles of NORMAL road use for the paint to start cracking and showing the defects below. THIS IS TYPICAL OF FAULTY COMPOSITE WORK. Anyone who works on surfboards, fiber glass, carbon fiber will tell you the same thing... The fact that FORD is basically telling me. Hey you didn't see it in 7 days so live with it is asinine.

Enjoy the pics, and I hope you all have better luck with your new Raptors.

RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles and issues. However, I can not fault ford for denying the claim. This type of damage is easily noticed when taking delivery of the truck (and thoroughly inspecting it before signing on the dotted line). Ford does not know whether or not the damage occurred on their end or whether it was your doing. It is not what you know, it is what you can prove in this particular situation. Get the damage fixed and enjoy your truck.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of those cases when Ford (or any manufacturer) needs to accept responsibility. I don't see how HeloA&P could have damaged just the fender and not damaged the door as well.
I think expecting a customer to find every single defect when taking delivery is unrealistic. If they expect that, then give the customer a heated / cooled well lit inspection room, not some spot on the lot with all sorts of traffic and sunny - shady areas.
In the long run fixing this will benefit Ford. The cost to fix the fender will produce more in customer satisfaction and good will than what is saved by making a customer mad.
I didn't buy a Chrysler product for 13 years because of a decision like this. During those 13 years I bought 4 Ford vehicles.

D

Deleted member 12951

I agree, what the hell is Ford thinking. I took mine to TRR and in my opinion, I beat it almost more than I was comfortable with and not one thing "cracked" like this. These trucks are designed for this stress and clearly a defect. It seems that you have to get a 3rd party professional statement to prove to Ford. Yes ridiculous.

OP
OP
HeloA&P

HeloA&P

Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles and issues. However, I can not fault ford for denying the claim. This type of damage is easily noticed when taking delivery of the truck (and thoroughly inspecting it before signing on the dotted line). Ford does not know whether or not the damage occurred on their end or whether it was your doing. It is not what you know, it is what you can prove in this particular situation. Get the damage fixed and enjoy your truck.

I purchased my truck on a raining evening after work. I looked the truck over for dents and dings. Apparently you didn't read where I said this was painted over at the factory.... I don't know a single person that can see damage that is painted over until it becomes evident. Maybe an x-ray scanner... Right???

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/attachments/f212/45987d1398137911-ford-********-me-my-14-raptor-img_0448.jpg

I'm not speculating at all as to how or why that happened, but if somebody showed me that damage, I would guess that something was closed in the door. You said you didn't notice it until during/after you detailed the truck. Is there any chance when detailing it that you closed an extension cord or shop-vac power cord in the door? I could easily see that causing your damage... the cord would push in laterally on the fender, but out on the door; since that area of the door is double steel with a rolled edge, I wouldn't be surprised if the glass fender took the brunt of the damage.

I'd at least open the door and look at the inside edge on the door to see if there are any witness marks.

OP
OP
HeloA&P

HeloA&P

Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/attachments/f212/45987d1398137911-ford-********-me-my-14-raptor-img_0448.jpg

I'm not speculating at all as to how or why that happened, but if somebody showed me that damage, I would guess that something was closed in the door. You said you didn't notice it until during/after you detailed the truck. Is there any chance when detailing it that you closed an extension cord or shop-vac power cord in the door? I could easily see that causing your damage... the cord would push in laterally on the fender, but out on the door; since that area of the door is double steel with a rolled edge, I wouldn't be surprised if the glass fender took the brunt of the damage.

I'd at least open the door and look at the inside edge on the door to see if there are any witness marks.

Good question but, no chance. I had only gotten through washing and shammy, and I only hand wash and wax. I don't own a power buffer, and I had not gotten to the inside yet to vaccume. I do inside last. I'm as honest as the next guy. I will admit to something if it is my fault. It's apart of what I do for a living. Personal integrity is the foundation for aeronautics. If I caused this it gives me an "excuse" to go to aftermarket glass fenders... easy as that... But, I didn't do this, and I'm 100% sure about it... The cracking in the paint is the tell all sign for the defect under it. Again, ask ANY professional that deals with composite/fiber glass parts and they will tell you the same thing. If there were evident marks explaining something hit it, that's on me, but there is absolutely nothing except the crazing that is happening under the paint... Eventually this whole section will chip off revealing whatever the base of the fender is made of... just a matter of time.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Albeit gel coat and not paint, but I've witnessed cracking nearly identical to that in a previous boat I owned after slamming a fiberglass floor hatch on a shore power cord.

Maybe the guy at the dealer who does new vehicle prep did it.

Either way, that sucks and good luck.