Dripping paint from gas inlet on new 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAMFTX

Reaction score
I purchased my brand new black 2014 Screw last week. I got the truck in the late afternoon/evening so it was dark when I was able to inspect it. The next day one of my friend's young son noticed a dripping paint look from the gas inlet. (he's short and can directly see that) It looks like when they put fuel in it at the factory or shipping the paint was damaged. I took it back to the dealer asap and they said they have to repaint that area. It has now been in the Ford body shop for two days. They gave me a loner and have been pretty quick to help fix the problem. Now do you think I should demand more from the dealer? As I've read the black will hopefully blend in and look fine now but later on? How should they make me whole on this as the value has decreased no? Suggestions?

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would expect the paint to blend perfectly. We've had a few recent model vehicles in accidents and the paint work has been excellent.

I personally would not make a lot of demands other than to ask for documentation and warranty in case you have issues in that spot again (given it's a repaint area)

OP
OP
B

BAMFTX

Reaction score
I would expect the paint to blend perfectly. We've had a few recent model vehicles in accidents and the paint work has been excellent.

I personally would not make a lot of demands other than to ask for documentation and warranty in case you have issues in that spot again (given it's a repaint area)

Good point, you're right. Thank you.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck has every paint defect in it known to man. Thankfully they are all quite small and minor but still.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I purchased my brand new black 2014 Screw last week. I got the truck in the late afternoon/evening so it was dark when I was able to inspect it. The next day one of my friend's young son noticed a dripping paint look from the gas inlet. (he's short and can directly see that) It looks like when they put fuel in it at the factory or shipping the paint was damaged. I took it back to the dealer asap and they said they have to repaint that area. It has now been in the Ford body shop for two days. They gave me a loner and have been pretty quick to help fix the problem. Now do you think I should demand more from the dealer? As I've read the black will hopefully blend in and look fine now but later on? How should they make me whole on this as the value has decreased no? Suggestions?

If they do it right you will never even tell the difference. High quality body shop work is a far cry from the old days. These guys a magicians!! Sounds like you have a real up front dealer.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford definitely doesn't have the best of paint. That's been proven several times.

I always liked to attach the tag "never seen a paint gun" to any vehicle I sell ;)

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks, but I agree that I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it's documented and repaired to your liking. Asking the dealer to flip the bill for the first oil change is the most I'd ask from them as it sounds like they're trying to make it right for you in a timely manner.

Last edited:

9599svt

Reaction score
A couple months ago I needed to get my car repaired after an accident, and took it to a local Ford dealer. The paint that they used comes with a lifetime warranty. They said it is better than what comes from the factory. It blends and looks so perfect that you would never even know what was repainted. The paint issue was not the dealers fault so it would only be taking money out of there pocket to keep you happy for something they could not control. I know it is still a very unneeded hassle for you too though.

Hennyhen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford's paint quality and control stinks. On my 2013 there were a lot of paint runs on the botom of the drivers door. I took it in to a dealership. they had to take pics and sent it off to ford warranty to see if they would cover it. Ford paid to have the door repainted. when I picked up the raptor the are was fixed but the paint shop created a run on the crease of the drivers door. so they kept it for a few more days to respray it. when I went to pick it up the last time I could still see the run. I informed them and they took some 1500 grit sandpaper to sand it down. they stated it would not hurt anything. they buffed it. I was pissed that they could not get it fixed correctly. know that I have the truck back it is a different shade where they sanded. Now it looks like I got to go back again. this has been going on for two months. It is hard to find good workers that care and take pride in thier work.