icom radio group buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just about done with our icom rep to become a dealer. i am wondering if there is enough interest in a group buy. i am also curious as to what radios you all prefer. please let me know your thoughts.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Icom F5021 prgramming cables and software. This seems to be on average the prefered radio. It has long range and it is a military specification design. I would like to see everyone that goes on outings to have radios as communications is so important. These would be typically permanent mount however can be easily made for quick in and quick out... I have mine programmed to local fire police and highway patrol so I can quickly find out whats going on and roads to avoid...

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there benefit to using one of the portable units (handhelds) in case you need to exit the truck and radio out? A certain video of a Raptor in flames comes to mind.....

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The handhelds only out put 1-5 watts typically and the F5021 does about 25-50-100 watts depending how you set it up... You can talk a lot further than with a handheld. Snowball drivers complained when using hand helds they could not talk all the way up and down the groups. In the right conditions you could use a fixed mount to reach over 100 miles.....

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a f5021 and it works flawlessly. I just wish there was a more portable solution, 12v power cable and longer antenna cable.

Speaking of, anyone know how significant the little ball at the top of the antenna is? Mine made a crap load of noise at the snowball but I don't want to cut it off if its going to effect something

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
The handhelds only out put 1-5 watts typically and the F5021 does about 25-50-100 watts depending how you set it up... You can talk a lot further than with a handheld. Snowball drivers complained when using hand helds they could not talk all the way up and down the groups. In the right conditions you could use a fixed mount to reach over 100 miles.....

F5021 max power is 50 Watts. Right conditions for 50 miles would be talking to a repeater on top of a cell tower with a high dollar antenna and coax. I've been on the national seashore down here, with no obstructions, no RF interference, and was only able to get 10 miles talking to an identical setup.

I have a f5021 and it works flawlessly. I just wish there was a more portable solution, 12v power cable and longer antenna cable.

Speaking of, anyone know how significant the little ball at the top of the antenna is? Mine made a crap load of noise at the snowball but I don't want to cut it off if its going to effect something

The total length of the antenna is significant for the frequency that you're broadcasting on. The antennas come with a tuning chart. 151 mhz = 53" and so on. Cutting a little off wont make that big of a difference, but the antenna will still make noise.