SW Headers sound question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have the SW LT (w/cats), a borla exhaust turned down after the axle and an SVC tune (which causes higher RPM starts). My concern is that I get some serious blatting noise on startup when cold. anyone got any ideas on this? do I have a leak or loose fitting somewhere, or is this pretty much normal?

https://youtu.be/_MVhiI_heuQ

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Sounds similar to when I had the SW s-tube mufflers... just changed them to different mufflers and it is still there but a little more muffled. Yours seems to be a little louder than I remember, but that may be with the Borla design too.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
it is really loud. past cold start ups it's fine, it's just when the engine is cold.

Yeah, it would be worth checking to ensure no exhaust leaks. However, mine does that for about 25 seconds or so and then it quiets down a bit (now quieter with the new mufflers).

Side note: I put Dynomax VT mufflers on and it is much quieter at idle and no drone at cruising speeds (turn-downs off the mufflers). But when you get into 1/2-WOT it screams just like it did before.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
other than this startup issue the borla doesn't really drone at highway speeds, from about 1/2 throttle up it's really freaking loud (I have the entire interior sound killed).

i know getting rid of the turn down will quiet it down quite a bit, but I hate having exhaust tips hanging out where they can get crushed when I play a bit too hard.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Yup, I won't go back to an exhaust tip. Love the turn-downs. I'll be sound deadening the cab sometime in the near future. But, the sound of these trucks with headers is ridiculous... it just screams. I love it.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, I have the sw full system headers, cats, and mufflers out the back under the bumper. sounds weird on start up. got used to it now, I have the chambered mufflers.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing as well. My neighbors love me in the morning. I have SW LT headers, Corsa Sport exhaust, and SVC tune. I am considering getting rid of the cold start option.

I also have a lightning style exhaust exit right behind the backdoor on the passenger side. It's loud in the cabin at WOT. Towing trailers up hills on the freeway is super ******* annoying. I am probably going to change to a turndown style.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ducatisps your's is blatantly loud. I have no cats and an MBRP turndown clocked to the 5 o'clock position that in my opinion is not as loud as your's. I did notice however that when I went down to sea level it had increased.
@factive, I didn't know you had longtubes. Thinking about running around the UTTR soon if you want to get out. You can also hear a turndown option.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ducatisps your's is blatantly loud. I have no cats and an MBRP turndown clocked to the 5 o'clock position that in my opinion is not as loud as your's. I did notice however that when I went down to sea level it had increased.
@factive, I didn't know you had longtubes. Thinking about running around the UTTR soon if you want to get out. You can also hear a turndown option.

sounds like a great license plate: BLATANT