Rear Cantilever for spring over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
khcdave

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This set up uses standard 12 travel shocks- we are using 3.0s. Icon and fox. If u take a close look at the levers you will see three holes- one will be connected via links to the axle. The farthest holes is 16 in travel middle is 14 and the inside hole is 12 travel. This hole will be eliminated but 14 and 16 will both be there giving the option of travel limits. At least that's the plan. Stock shock will work but will need revalving for sure and there is no adjustability. Not sure on the 3.0 yet if at 16 travel they will need to revalved. Lots of adjustability so we will find out during testing. If that's the case it is very simple to do.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got 3.0's from fox. I like the cantilever design moreso than the cutting of the bed cause i still need to use my bed. Ill be following this thread.

SDHQ has a solution as well.

OP
OP
khcdave

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our red raptor will be the first truck- it runs fox 3.0s. I was inspired by sdhq after seeing there set up and for most cutting the bed is not a great option. Ultimitely I want to be able to offer this kit as a bolt on option.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dave, for those of us who are not familiar with the pros and cons with a cantilever rear set up would you mind explaining it please? From what it appears, by increasing the angle of where the top shock mount is you are able to have more travel without cutting the bed.

My main question on this is how does changing the angle of the shock effect the geometry of the suspension since if my above thought is correct you are gaining travel by changing the angle.

I apologize if my thought was wrong. Not familiar with this type of mounting solution but it looks much simpler than a bed cage.

Oh and how hard would it be to make my Fox 3.0's work for added travel. Sorry for all the dumb questions.

OP
OP
khcdave

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No need for changing bedsides.

The idea behind the cantilever is to use 12 ins of travel (shock) and turn it into 16 without cutting through the bed. If you look at the lever the distance of the hole from the pivot bushing are different - shock mount hole is shorter to the pivot and longer on the axle link side. At the farthest hole it will move a total of 16 in while moving the shock hole 12. The shock mounts laterally getting it out of harms way eliminating the lower shock mounts hanging off the axle and eliminating the weak upper mount. Im tired of hitting the lower mounts on rocks to be honest and beating up the shocks. I am designing it around Fox and Icon 3.0s. Its possible we may need to revalve the shocks but wont know until we start testing. It will all make more sense once you see everything mounted in the truck.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dave thanks alot of the reply. I just got some goodies from RPG and would be really interested in seeing this set up once you guys have it on the truck. Looking to get the most out of my 3.0's. And it is alot better for me than a bed cage which I dont mind doing but this is definitely a better avenue for me.

Looking forward to seeing more and tearing up Rausch creek with you guys soon. Keep me posted!

OP
OP
khcdave

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Progress Update

Made some progress designing the lever mounts and doin some testing.

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg