Hugh's Scab Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright... Sleep obviously isn't going to happen...

I'm very loopy so I'll try my best to be coherent.

My picking up the truck was touch and go there for a bit because of the 2' of snow but they finally plowed the roads so I could get out - 3hrs of driveway shoveling later and I was on the road. It was supposed to be 4hrs up / 4hrs back but because of the 2 or 3 thousand pre-ordained traffic accidents (no snow or ice on the road...) it ended up being 14hrs. Once I got home I helped the wife put our 2yr old to bed, visited with her for a bit then passed out about 11pm. At 2am she hits me on the shoulder, "my water just broke". Eff me. I've had about 6hrs of total sleep since Friday, never more than 2 at a time.

1) Shop (comms, cust svc, quality of work)

Dave was easy to work with and we were constantly texting back and forth. The few times I dealt with other shop members they were courteous and helpful. It's obvious these are all 'car guys' and they love what they do.

Dave is also a little, maybe a lot, OCD. He's a perfectionist, which is good because I'm a picky person and I went into this with a clear idea of what I wanted in terms of performance, utility and aesthetics.

I am very impressed with the attention to detail on this truck. It is apparent that this project was part of a KHC family of projects and as such was held to a high standard of workmanship - there are one or two very (VERY) minor things that I never would have noticed, nor do I care after having them pointed out, but Dave insists on addressing before calling it 'done'. These are aesthetic in nature and in my opinion inconsequential - but his desire for perfection has ensured that KHC will perform all consecutive phases of this truck.

2) Appearance

The truck looks killer. It's a shame is covered in salt/slush/grime from the drive home but folks were almost running into me and off the road staring at it.

From the fender/bedside/bumper gaps to the addition of a couple 'goodies' to ensure a certain look was achieved, the finished product exceeded my expectations.

Kudos also to Dawson at Raptor Retrofit, the upgraded '13 HID headlights look awesome and I can actually see at night now.

3) Performance

I obviously haven't had it in the dirt yet. On the highway the gears were AWESOME! If you aren't careful when going from a stop it will roast the 37s. Everything is tight but no 'telegraph' of road surface like I was expecting. It's a hair stiff but it will settle out after some use. The upgraded brake pads/rotors/lines are a significant improvement even with the 37s. So many things have changed its a totally new truck and experience. I also HIGHLY recommend the custom cat-back, it sounds awesome but doesn't drone like my SW true dual setup.

I'm very happy with the finished product and would, without hesitation, recommend these guys for any level build.

OP
OP
khcdave

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Hugh- So happy you love it!!! Also want to say thanks to Icon and SDHQ for helping us with all the parts for this build. Brad and Jason are the best.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright... Sleep obviously isn't going to happen...

I'm very loopy so I'll try my best to be coherent.

My picking up the truck was touch and go there for a bit because of the 2' of snow but they finally plowed the roads so I could get out - 3hrs of driveway shoveling later and I was on the road. It was supposed to be 4hrs up / 4hrs back but because of the 2 or 3 thousand pre-ordained traffic accidents (no snow or ice on the road...) it ended up being 14hrs. Once I got home I helped the wife put our 2yr old to bed, visited with her for a bit then passed out about 11pm. At 2am she hits me on the shoulder, "my water just broke". Eff me. I've had about 6hrs of total sleep since Friday, never more than 2 at a time.

1) Shop (comms, cust svc, quality of work)

Dave was easy to work with and we were constantly texting back and forth. The few times I dealt with other shop members they were courteous and helpful. It's obvious these are all 'car guys' and they love what they do.

Dave is also a little, maybe a lot, OCD. He's a perfectionist, which is good because I'm a picky person and I went into this with a clear idea of what I wanted in terms of performance, utility and aesthetics.

I am very impressed with the attention to detail on this truck. It is apparent that this project was part of a KHC family of projects and as such was held to a high standard of workmanship - there are one or two very (VERY) minor things that I never would have noticed, nor do I care after having them pointed out, but Dave insists on addressing before calling it 'done'. These are aesthetic in nature and in my opinion inconsequential - but his desire for perfection has ensured that KHC will perform all consecutive phases of this truck.

2) Appearance

The truck looks killer. It's a shame is covered in salt/slush/grime from the drive home but folks were almost running into me and off the road staring at it.

From the fender/bedside/bumper gaps to the addition of a couple 'goodies' to ensure a certain look was achieved, the finished product exceeded my expectations.

Kudos also to Dawson at Raptor Retrofit, the upgraded '13 HID headlights look awesome and I can actually see at night now.

3) Performance

I obviously haven't had it in the dirt yet. On the highway the gears were AWESOME! If you aren't careful when going from a stop it will roast the 37s. Everything is tight but no 'telegraph' of road surface like I was expecting. It's a hair stiff but it will settle out after some use. The upgraded brake pads/rotors/lines are a significant improvement even with the 37s. So many things have changed its a totally new truck and experience. I also HIGHLY recommend the custom cat-back, it sounds awesome but doesn't drone like my SW true dual setup.

I'm very happy with the finished product and would, without hesitation, recommend these guys for any level build.

The built is really complete. I like how the final use of the truck and where it will be used was taken into consideration in the build. Like the custom exhaust to provide more ground clearance to the pesky rocks at Rauch Creek ORV park.

Did you have this build in mind or when the rear end blew out you decided to go ask in?

I hope your back for revenge at Havoc in the hills. I would love to see the truck in person. This is a magazine quality build.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The built is really complete. I like how the final use of the truck and where it will be used was taken into consideration in the build. Like the custom exhaust to provide more ground clearance to the pesky rocks at Rauch Creek ORV park.

Did you have this build in mind or when the rear end blew out you decided to go ask in?

I hope your back for revenge at Havoc in the hills. I would love to see the truck in person. This is a magazine quality build.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Sorry Joe, I missed this post.

I was kinda courting KHC about some level of build prior to Havoc. My problem is time so when it was down I took advantage of that time.

I'll be in Michigan and back at Havoc if they do another one.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Have you had a chance to stretch your new suspension?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Not yet. Between the newborn and work I haven't driven it much.

I'm really hoping ICON comes through so I can have the secondaries installed before the June event.