Dredded Front Suspension Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have noticed this tapping sound since new, but from what I gathered these past months reading here..... This is how these off-road shocks were designed. I hear the same tapping sound on the front shocks as I drive over bumps ALONG with the back shocks identically the same sounding so if this was to fix the fronts, what u advise us try for the rears? Tightening?

Last edited:
OP
OP
khcdave

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will get a slight clicking from the shocks. Especially when the fluid is cold but its hard to hear. Check the bolts in the rear that they are tight and retighten the lower front bolt.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will get a slight clicking from the shocks. Especially when the fluid is cold but its hard to hear. Check the bolts in the rear that they are tight and retighten the lower front bolt.

Might have to see if Imdubious could give me a hand with this when we do my hood mounts......
My truck isn't bad at all and nada difference than when it Had come new from the lot. After the perch mod, we made sure the fronts were tight, might have to re-tighten?
I can understand the shock tapping noises when it transpires via bumps so I'm not complaining, but i will try this method regardless. I also noticed the few that do speak up or complain doesn't quite understand the way these baja shocks work (Hint: "i bought this $50k+ truck designed for baja, and the shocks are making tons of noises?!" lol) Shocks working via Valves tapping is what I'm hearing, might be me imagining too so I'll let you guys know how it goes on my end :). A CLUNK is never the best of sounds,
Great heads up!
What u advise us tightening/checking for the rear shock torque specs??

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What u advise us tightening/checking for the rear shock torque specs??

SECTION 204-02: Rear Suspension 2012 F-150 Workshop Manual
SPECIFICATIONS Procedure revision date: 10/31/2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torque Specifications

Description Nm lb-ft lb-in
Shock absorber nuts 90 66 —
Shock absorber shield bolts (SVT Raptor) 4 — 35
Spring shackle-to-frame nut 185 136 —
Spring-to-frame nut 350 258 —
Spring-to-shackle nut 185 136 —
Spring U-bolt nuts a — — —
Jounce bumper-to-frame bolt 35 26 —

a Refer to the procedure in this section

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive head this before, usually its either a shock bolt that still has room to be tightened ( I wrench em down good, till they wont wrench anymore) or one of the tower bolts (3) that hold the spring/shock assembly down.

I'm doubting the big blue bolt (460 ft lbs I think is what is supposed to be) is the culprit.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once the bolt has been installed from the factory it has been stretched and should never be reused... After it has been stretched it is junk... This is a +50k truck and its a important part of the vehicle... If you do a mod on something as important the suspension why wouldnt you spend a bit more and replace the bolt so its done right?
raptorsuspension.jpg

Shockraptor.jpg

SVT Raptor

Install the shock absorber and spring assembly lower spacer and a new lock washer.
All vehicles

NOTE: Do not tighten the nut at this time.

Position the shock absorber and loosely install the new shock absorber lower nut and bolt.
Connect the upper arm ball joint to the wheel knuckle and install the new nut.
Tighten to 115 Nm (85 lb-ft).
Install the new tie-rod end nut.
Tighten to 115 Nm (85 lb-ft).
SVT Raptor

Install the wheel bearing and wheel hub. For additional information, refer to Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub in this section.
All vehicles

Install the wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
Install the new shock absorber upper mount nuts.
Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
With the weight of the vehicle on the wheel and tire, tighten the shock absorber lower nut to 550 Nm (406 lb-ft).

Last edited:

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Awesome Hock! Thanks again, how much u talking a new bolt/nut costs?

I bet quite a few of us overlooked this.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^Awesome Hock! Thanks again, how much u talking a new bolt/nut costs?

I bet quite a few of us overlooked this.

I'm not sure but i bet they cant be more that $20-30... I will do some research but, I personally feel that these aftermarket companies should offer them to people... Especially if you buy a set of new shocks...