UPGRADE - 3.0 Internal Bypass Coil-Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss327

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is posable a side by side comparison of what the 3.0 can do compared's to the 2.0. the resoning I run pastures or open fields in south dakota wide open for the most part I think I'm good with the 2.0 becose the fields are for the most part smooth and the pastures might have some pocket gopher mounds and badger holes. so I guess what I'm asking if I can drive 90mph with out any problems feals like im on a ruff hyway with a normal shock. what can you do with the 3.0 must be crazy.

Stock is 2.0? I always thought it was 2.5

OP
OP
FOX

FOX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Damn that gold looks sick...

Love the white up front too.

530038_672657402658_1156009916_n.jpg

Fox - I love your shocks. I have the RPG 3.0 set up on my front. I'd love to learn more about them. How would you recommend adjusting the shocks for certain driving / terrain?

Desert Running
Canadian mud baths
rock climbing
snow shoeing
Highway

Can these adjustment be performed easily by us?

Thanks - glad you guys joined us. Looking forward to the discussion.

Joe

Externally the spring preload can be adjusted and is set to level the truck right out of the box. Internally the compression and rebound valving can be changed, this is not recommended for a novice tuner. *

Due to the nature of how and internal bypass works and its superior *benefits, external adjustability is limited. We packed damping technology and features that would typically be found in two independent shocks into one. *

We will outline the differences between a position sensitive internal bypass shock and a velocity sensitive compression adjuster shock in a future post.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

if it is posable a side by side comparison of what the 3.0 can do compared's to the 2.0. the resoning I run pastures or open fields in south dakota wide open for the most part I think I'm good with the 2.0 becose the fields are for the most part smooth and the pastures might have some pocket gopher mounds and badger holes. so I guess what I'm asking if I can drive 90mph with out any problems feals like im on a ruff hyway with a normal shock. what can you do with the 3.0 must be crazy.

The FOX Factory Series 3.0 front and rear upgrades are basically full blown bolt-on offroad racing shocks. *They will deliver superior offroad performance by utilizing FOX's race department developed tuning specs, springs, and patented technologies. Being that they are a product of our offroad race department we've utilized materials and components that may require more frequent service then the OEM equipped product.

The OEM FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass is a great product and allows the f-150 to do things no other truck on the market will do. ***The valving and spring package was developed in conjunction with FOX and Ford to deliver great on and offroad performance. Compromises in valving, spring selection, and ride height had to be implemented to meet roll and vehicle dynamics testing standards for new production vehicles

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

The patented FOX Factory Series 3.0 Coilover is the only position sensitive internal bypass shock on the market. Here are the differences between a position sensitive internal bypass shock and a velocity sensitive shock with a reservoir compression adjuster.

A compression adjuster that is located on the reservoir of a velocity sensitive shock adjusts the stiffness of compression by restricting the rate of oil flow into the reservoir. When the shock shaft moves into the body of the shock it takes up volume, the added volume requires that the excess oil to be transferred into the reservoir. By restricting the flow rate in which this oil is transferred you can make the shock stiffer. The drawback to this technology and to velocity sensitive shocks in general is that you cannot control where in the shock travel the added stiffness or compression comes into play. In order to keep the truck from bottoming out at high shaft speeds you need to increase valving and restrict the flow to the reservoir via the adjuster. The huge compromise is that at slow shaft speeds this will give the truck an extremely harsh or stiff feeling, making the truck skate on graded roads and bounce going down the highway.

A position sensitive internal bypass shock has multiple compression and rebound shock travel stages that are tuned independently of each other. When the truck is near normal ride height the shock piston is traveling within a zone that delivers a plush comfortable bottomless feel, allowing the transfer of weight for traction and that planted confident steering wheel feel in corners. When the truck takes a large ditch or lands from a jump, the shock piston travels into progressively stiffer zones to catch and slow the suspension before bottoming. Along with the increased compression control in the zone near bottom out, the internal bypass has an increased rebound control zone, which prevents the truck from bucking or bouncing after a hard hit. On the reverse end of the shock, when the truck becomes airborne the shock piston will travel down into a near top out zone to catch the suspension from having a hard stop, which prevents joint failure, and increases suspension component longevity.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
FOX, quick question for you guys. If you were unrestricted by the requirements for roll testing and height that Ford had to place on the shocks, how much better do you think you could make the stock 2.5s perform? If it would be significant, would that be something you would be willing to offer to Raptor owners?

I've just always been curious if there was still extra un-tapped potential in the stock shocks. Thanks!

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the shocks are what make the raptor an off road truck. one other question is perch I moved it to mid and it lands much better. Is it true that it was meant to be ran on mid? or what would be your recommendation if you can say. thanks'

OP
OP
FOX

FOX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FOX, quick question for you guys. If you were unrestricted by the requirements for roll testing and height that Ford had to place on the shocks, how much better do you think you could make the stock 2.5s perform? If it would be significant, would that be something you would be willing to offer to Raptor owners?

I've just always been curious if there was still extra un-tapped potential in the stock shocks. Thanks!

The OEM FOX SVT 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks are tuned to maximize the performance of the Raptor. There is possibly some minimal offroad performance to be made by sacrificing on road stability.

Since the OEM FOX SVT 2.5 Internal Bypass is a proprietary part to FORD we have not explored any retrofit improvements at this time.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
The OEM FOX SVT 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks are tuned to maximize the performance of the Raptor. There is possibly some minimal offroad performance to be made by sacrificing on road stability.

Since the OEM FOX SVT 2.5 Internal Bypass is a proprietary part to FORD we have not explored any retrofit improvements at this time.

Thanks for the answer, I figured that would be the case, but it's good to hear it straight from you guys.

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shocks are what make the raptor an off road truck. one other question is perch I moved it to mid and it lands much better. Is it true that it was meant to be ran on mid? or what would be your recommendation if you can say. thanks'

Fox, can we get an answer to this question?? Which perch level was the suspension "supposed" to be run with?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox, can we get an answer to this question?? Which perch level was the suspension "supposed" to be run with?

I can tell you it was not designed, tested, crashed then released at the mid setting then lowered to the first setting and released. Ride height is the most critical thing when a crash test is done so the answer is no way in hell...
Here is how the conversation between Fox and Ford went...

Fox... "look we think this should be set up on the mid setting because thats where these shocks work the best" (This statement was told to us in 2010 at the Woodward Dream Cruise by the SVT design engineers.)

Ford's reply "we want it made for the lowest setting and thats the end"

The same conversation went on with Ford and Allison Transmission for the superduty except Allison said **** you Ford and, Ford designed their own trans...and Allison went with GM...