Rack Options - HAVOC Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy,

I have been reading your posts and interested in a Chase Rack for the HAVOC Run. I see you are kind enough to be a sponsor so I wanted to see if you would help?

I am torn between a tailgate mount Rack or a bed rack. I am sure each has their + & - s...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Fred

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not Jimmy... but here's my two cents. Go with the bed mounted rack.

Tailgate mounts are nice because the tire is at the back, but other than that I think they are a pain. They can get in the way of accessing your bed, and if they aren't done correctly, the stresses from landings and bumps can cause them to fail since they have moving parts and connections.

Bed racks do take up space, but they also provide lots of options for organized storage and extra tie down points. They are also typically removable by just a couple bed bolts if you need the whole bed, and are usually available both with and without using the original tailgate.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you torn between a WSI race rack or a WSI two tire rack that mounts inside the bed? The WSI race rack eliminates the stresses a "tiregate" places on the bed frame, by spreading the load out, but it does take up more room. However it carries significantly more gear as well as looks great doing it. The race rack, makes the bed a little harder to access, but does give you a significant amount of room on either side of it to load out camping gear.

A two tire rack is a fantastic option for a guy who needs to remove the rack often, but aesthetically, it needs two tires, and does not carry as much gear. Also. It doesn't put the weight in the back of the truck to offset the "kick' you get when offroading. Putting more weight to the rear of the truck is better because it offsets the nose of the truck where that mean 6.2 is, as well as our big asses, ha!

Let us know what you decide, we are here to help!

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you torn between a WSI race rack or a WSI two tire rack that mounts inside the bed? The WSI race rack eliminates the stresses a "tiregate" places on the bed frame, by spreading the load out, but it does take up more room. However it carries significantly more gear as well as looks great doing it. The race rack, makes the bed a little harder to access, but does give you a significant amount of room on either side of it to load out camping gear.

A two tire rack is a fantastic option for a guy who needs to remove the rack often, but aesthetically, it needs two tires, and does not carry as much gear. Also. It doesn't put the weight in the back of the truck to offset the "kick' you get when offroading. Putting more weight to the rear of the truck is better because it offsets the nose of the truck where that mean 6.2 is, as well as our big asses, ha!

Let us know what you decide, we are here to help!

Jimmy,

Thanks for the reply. I got your PM just left you a message. I appreciate the quick response. I think you nailed it, I want something that looks good and I can remove the rack often easily. Plus I can keep my tailgate and my rear facing camera, you never know when Busa will be on your ass...

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

holy crap, we converted fred from a street queen..... hahaha. i too am of the same mind of having a bed rack rather than a tiregate.... plus you can keep your rear camera

Not yet but getting there...but I will be making sure my insurance is rock solid prior to the run..:biggrin:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy,

Thanks for the reply. I got your PM just left you a message. I appreciate the quick response. I think you nailed it, I want something that looks good and I can remove the rack often easily. Plus I can keep my tailgate and my rear facing camera, you never know when Busa will be on your ass...

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Not yet but getting there...but I will be making sure my insurance is rock solid prior to the run..:biggrin:
as long as you arent racing, you are covered...... at least my policy is that way...

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about some of these bad boys for the deer! Plus they have a chrome look... :rondod:

Attachments

• 71WV4oiRNdL._SL1500_.jpg
    71WV4oiRNdL._SL1500_.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After talking with Jimmy, several times, He came up with a tire rack that mounts in the bed, using the four (4) bed bolts toward the cab.

We are also looking at quick release pins. That way, I don't need to take out the bed bolts every time I want to remove the rack.

Questions:

1) Line-X the Rack cost $250?
2) Paint the rack cost $20?
3) Do I use the stock spare or get another Nitto Trail and Method wheel so everything is the same? $600 for a new tire, wheel and TPMS

Some pics from Jimmy. I think it will look good.

Attachments

• IMAG0788.jpg
    IMAG0788.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0791.jpg
    IMAG0791.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6770.jpg
    IMG_6770.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 87