New WSI Bumper & Whelen Amber Micro Pioneers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a problem. My truck would only fit in the garage if I parked it diagonally which basically turned my two-car garage into a one-truck garage. This was not ideal as we sometimes get bad hail and other nasty weather in OK.

I contacted Jimmy at WSI because I saw the rear bumper that he did for Whtrapta and the design definitely had the potential to be lower profile while still looking aggressive and being more durable than the stock bumper. As a bonus, the bumper also tucks up higher to create a better departure angle for offroading.

Another thing I've always hated was that the Ford's premier offroad truck doesn't have fog lights. Jimmy helped me fix this by installing his lower bumper bracket along with two Whelen Amber Micro Pioneers connected to upfitter switch #4.

Jimmy was great to work with. I helped a bit with the install and wiring, but mainly because I met him on a Saturday and his usual shop assistance was unavailable. Granted, doing installations like this is something that I enjoy so it was no big deal and Jimmy definitely did most of the work. Heck, his wife even showed up for a parts run and provided beer for my wife and I. Although, I don't know if the beer comes standard for all shop visitors. lol. I owe him for that one.

Anyway, the short review based on the brief time that the bumper and lights have been installed is this. My truck now fits in the garage. It barely fits, but we knew it would be close. Also, the amber Whelens work great. Got to test them out on the boring two-lane roads back from KS to OK. Drove through some pretty thick dust from wheat etc. being harvested at night right near the highway. The amber Whelens cut right through the fog. Also, visually they match up perfectly with the color of the marker lights and the light output complements the headlights well.

My next plan is the get a bed rack to hold my tire that's been relocated to the bed so the bumper and receiver could be tucked in as close as possible. I also initially wanted some auxiliary backup lighting, but the lights I want arent yet available. Currently looking at getting some Whelen Amber Nano Pioneers. These will serve as backup lighting and offroad rearward facing fog/dust lights.

Last, but not least. Pics.

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry about the pics. Must need to fix the permissions. I'll do that today when I get back home.

EDIT...Fixed the pic links and changed the permissions to public. Should be working now. Hope that works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll try to find a good time and place to take output shots of the new Whelens when I get a chance.

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup they work now.

Lookin good! I'm torn between mounting 4 whelens in the stock front bumper (2 amber 2 white) with 2 in the rear bumper vs Jimmy's light rack with a light bar and rear vertex lights
Decisions, decisions...

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of it just depends on what look you're going for. I kind of like a sleek and lower profile look and I'm limited by my garage as far as the length and height of my truck. I'm probably going to add a couple white Whelens with spot lenses to the lower grill. I'm also hoping Whelen releases 40" light bar or similar to go behind the upper grill.

I will say that Jimmy's lightbar is sweet in person. I'm really sold on the Whelens thus far. I really like that you can swap the lenses to change what type of beam you have.

Last edited:

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup they work now.

Lookin good! I'm torn between mounting 4 whelens in the stock front bumper (2 amber 2 white) with 2 in the rear bumper vs Jimmy's light rack with a light bar and rear vertex lights
Decisions, decisions...

There is a trade off to each. What you'll really want is a combination.

The light rack a.) looks badass, and b.) has a lot of mounting options for lights and gear. However, the light out the front will be for distance, overhead and out the sides. The roof will cut off ground light close up.

The bumper lights put a lot of light on the ground with a low profile and simple install, but can be obscured by low branches, tall grass and hills.

If it were me (and, at one time it was) I would go with the light rack with two Whelen Slimlines out the back, and two Whelen Micropioneers in the front bumper or on the hood and a light bar across the rack over the roof.

Fact is, for the price of six Whelens and brackets, you could basically have 4 Whelens (micros and slims are the same price I believe) and the light rack.

To keep in budget, you could have the light rack fabbed with brackets for all the lights, buy them as you can afford them, and just bolt them on.

Food for thought.

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford mounts similar size and shape fog lights in a similar location in the Super Duty bumpers. After seeing how clean the install is for the Whelens in the lower grill opening it amazes me that Ford didn't include something similar as an OEM option.

Also, it may be obvious but Jimmy cut my bed and dovetailed the rear. I'm probably in the minority as far as people who do an aftermarket rear bumper before and maybe instead of an aftermarket front bumper. I was really impressed at how the bumper, dovetailing the rear, and cutting off the low hanging exhaust totally changed the look of the truck. Looks way more aggressive and purpose built now. Really looking forward to working with Jimmy on more projects...as my wallet permits. Haha.

It's really nice to have a good fabricator in the immediate area so I can drive up for installs etc. instead of having something shipped from AZ or SoCal and just hoping it looks and fits like I expected.

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is great working with WSI. You can tell him what you are thinking about within reason and he will make it happen.

Great People and Great Products!!! Customer Service is Top Notch!

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, special thanks to Kanakry (oops. I meant Yukon Joe) for letting Jimmy use him as his "phone a friend" to verify which lenses to go with for uthe Micro Pioneers. I totally agree that the horizontal flood is a good compromise between flood and spot. Worked well in dust.

Although, I do think Kanakry did provide some input on wiring the upfitter switches. Ended up going with brown wire to purple wire to hook up the new Whelens to upfitter switch #4.

Last edited: