Fire Extinguisher Interior Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If all of you that are going on Raptor Runs, or into some good off roading, then you already know that having a fire extinguisher (FE) is a must. :flamingdevil:

If you have a chase rack or a bed rack solution already, then mounting the FE can be quite easy. I, on the other hand, wanted to have mine in the cab of the truck. I like to keep my bed free for hauling fire wood or other items. For the TRR, I put the FE in the cubby hole beneath the rear seat. Not a bad spot, but in a fire situation, seconds do count and you want access to your FE rather quickly. Who knows what cargo in the cab might be blocking access to that cubby hole. Or if you have a child seat in the back, you can't lift your seat to get the FE.

Since getting ready for the 2012 TRR, I had been thinking about where a good mounting spot would be. :think: I wanted to be able to open a door and grab the FE. I considered mounting it to the floor behind the center console, but again cargo could block access. The best spot I thought would be a door mount, but wasn't sure how to do it. I chose the rear driver side door.

During KC Cars and Coffee it all came together while I was checking out WSI's FE mount on his chase rack. Jimmy was able to get me a quick release FE mount and a custom backing plate (mounting plate) to use on the other side of the door panel. I didn't want the FE hanging off of the plastic door panel. I wanted to ensure it was secure during jumps and rough rides.

WSI shipped me the FE mount and the backing plate. I bought the hose clamps and 5/16" stainless steel mounting hardware at Lowes.

All the mounting items laid out:
312046_671668115198_1243122093_n.jpg

Everything put together. I used a lock washer to keep the mount secure. This will preclude the need to periodically tighten the mount.
217679_671668145138_1662787593_n.jpg

Only thing left to do, is to sandwich it to the door panel. You will notice in later pictures, I switched the hose clamps around.

Stock door panel with window switch popped:
255318_671668185058_2136403463_n.jpg

I started by removing the upper door molding. It is held in with two clips and can be pried off with. Make sure you protect your paint.
395894_671668614198_1636327660_n.jpg

Then remove the three bolts holding the door panel on. On is located behind the upper molding.
406275_671668414598_513531972_n.jpg

The next two are on the bottom of the panel.
529998_671667925578_828870081_n.jpg

Next, you have to release the door panel from the door body. This can be achieved by lifting up on the panel. There are three panel "mounting hooks" at the bottom, three hooks in the middle, and at least two at the top. I was not able to remove the panel completely from the door. I'm sure it could be done and it would make the job easier, but not necessary.

Here you can see one of the door panel mounting hooks.
215552_671668629168_1555519088_n.jpg

I was not sure what the white pillow thing was. I thought for a minute is was an air bag, but that didn't make sense. I really think it is a sound deadner.

I also removed the window control pannel to allow more access to the other side of where I was going to be putting the backing plate. It pops out with a little persuasion from a small flat head screwdriver.
551077_671668649128_1912615785_n.jpg

You can see the backing plate and hardware in this pic.

Next was to locate the mount on the door. I was originally going to mount the FE on the flat vertical part of the panel above the storage bin. But when I held the FE into position with the door shut, it was pushing into the seat cushion. Not ideal. Then I looked at mounting the FE on the underside of the arm rest. In this position, there was plenty of clearance between the seat and the FE. I wanted to keep the FE mounted towards the latch side of the door as much as possible. But ended up pretty much centering it on the panel since there is a cut out in the rest for the hand hole that did not allow for installing a bolt there.
Speaking of which, that little hand hole is held into the panel with 4 screws. Two of which I removed, but then saw that there where two more that I could not access. Why it gets 4 screws, I have no idea??

Don't remove these screws:
189518_671667970488_1175355864_n.jpg

The shelf above my thumb is where I placed the WSI backing plate. I marked my holes, drilled them and installed the backing plate.
268787_671668454518_1328149650_n.jpg

418779_671668200028_687279463_n.jpg

Next I buttoned everything back up. Getting the door hooks back in place was a pain. I need to ask the RaptorWifey to hold the door while I was pushing on it, so I didn't over extend the door hinges. Once it was back on, I installed the three screws and popped back on the upper trip piece.

Here I am installing the Fire Extinguisher...
530150_671668239948_251136698_n.jpg

As you can see, it sits nice and tucked up under the door arm rest. :sunot:
558457_671668504418_954230091_n.jpg

Here is the FE mount with the door closed. There is plenty of room between the seat and FE. It's also out of the way from little meddling hands...
552626_671668519388_984047286_n.jpg

Making some final adjustments:
391557_671668733958_969957674_n.jpg

One last adjustment. I noticed that when I was practicing putting the FE in and out, that it was slightly rubbing on the speaker grill and leaving white paint.
297540_671668419588_1441640552_n.jpg

Raptorwife had the fix for this. A small piece of flelt and some rubber cement on the corner of the FE.
10514_671668459508_1833484988_n.jpg

Modified rear driver door panel with Fire Extinguisher Mount:
539162_671668689048_340745752_n.jpg

After riding around town the past week, the mount is still secure.

Thank you to WSI for supplying a great mounting solution. I was able to mount the FE exactly where I wanted it and I'm really pleased with it.

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you dont think thats to much weight to hang off the door while bouncing around at the TTR. Behind the counsel on the floor is my favorite spot and you can access it from any door...

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats for the well written write up, and extremely clever installation!!

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

So you dont think thats to much weight to hang off the door while bouncing around at the TTR. Behind the counsel on the floor is my favorite spot and you can access it from any door...

there is a backing plate that is nearly the same size as the plate on the bracket (in fact it was bigger until we realised it needed to be smaller to fit in this location). I personally feel that its a very secure location. I think the people to ask are the one who run CB's /race radios screwed into their console or lowrance units that sit on top of the dash. see how well there plastic is holding up

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats for the well written write up, and extremely clever installation!!

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

there is a backing plate that is nearly the same size as the plate on the bracket (in fact it was bigger until we realised it needed to be smaller to fit in this location). I personally feel that its a very secure location. I think the people to ask are the one who run CB's /race radios screwed into their console or lowrance units that sit on top of the dash. see how well there plastic is holding up

I would certainly never bolt one into plastic for anything. I bolt them into the floor behind the console. Its the only place that works for me. I have built myself 400-500 prototypes for Ford and overseen many hundreds more and we only bolt fire extinguisher to the floor...
I only question the strenght of the door panel cause of the driving at the TTR... For just road driving I see no problem at all...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question Hock, if the FE was mounted on the door where I originally wanted it, I would think the plastic may be to thin.

The backing plate, opposed to a large fender washer, spreads the load out evenly over the arm rest. I feel like I could do chin up on there.

Also, the door panel is held to the door surprisingly well, even though our exterior body panel looks flimsy when you shut the door.

Agreed, center of truck, behind the center console allows access from any where in the truck, even while you are in the driver seat. But my thing was accessibility when the truck had cargo in it. Which I tend to do quite often.

Joe

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would certainly never bolt one into plastic for anything. I bolt them into the floor behind the console. Its the only place that works for me. I have built myself 400-500 prototypes for Ford and overseen many hundreds more and we only bolt fire extinguisher to the floor...
I only question the strenght of the door panel cause of the driving at the TTR... For just road driving I see no problem at all...

Well, 90% of my driving right now is on road. I'll let you know if I see any issue next April.;)

Joe

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think that is the best place on the door, since the weight of the FE will be pulling down on mount, verses mounted on vertical part of the door, which there would be a more shearing force on the mount.

-Greg

AOVET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would worry me more is a side impact from some other source that ran into the door and sets of the FE. If your carrying Halon that could get serious.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with that Senior, it takes quite a bit of force to rupture a fire extinguisher, let alone that it has to go through all that door and side steps! The fire extinguisher that is best mounted on this quick release, is the same one that would be in your home or on your boat, a sodium bicarbonate one. Halon is not used anymore, so know need to worry about that!

I think that there are sooooo many mounting possibilities one could explore, 012bluesvt chose this one, i happen to think its very clever, and out of the way, and perfectly fine. If you feel you have a better mounting position, you should purchase one for $58. This will include:
-powder coated black
-mounting hardware
-2 stainless steel hose clamps
-either 2 fender washers, or a back plate, depending on where you would like to mount this. I can help you determine which you will need, fender washers will be the better choice most of the time, but some places won't have enough room for fender washers.

Ive got 3 on the shelf right now, let me know guys.