Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forum Supporting Vendors > Raptor Retrofit
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Raptor Retrofit

Need Help ASAP!!

This is a discussion on Need Help ASAP!! within the Raptor Retrofit forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forum Supporting Vendors category!
If anyone knows Dawsons number please pm me. Am in Colorado and am having big time problems with my lights ...

User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Need Help ASAP!!
If anyone knows Dawsons number please pm me. Am in Colorado and am having big time problems with my lights again. Have 600 miles to go with no low beams... Dawson please check your pm.

2015 Z06 C7
2014 Denali 6in BDS, 36 in KM's etc
2016 Macan Turbo 2015 911
Boss Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

FRF Gofur

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

What are the lights doing?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Did u check the connection from the harness to the stock wiring. Push those plugs together tightly. Moromito plugs can separate a not from the OEM plug. I taped the plugs together very tightly.

Wait u say no low beams...so the turn on with the high beams only?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 Silver Screw Saints Offroad Front Bumper, mid perch, Retrofits 3" FXR w/ Evil Eyes, SW long tube headers, lightning style exhaust, 5 Star Tunes on SCT Livewire TS, Injen CAI, Method DS black w/ machned lip, lots of LED lights, LED tails, Hornblasters kit, WSI springs, RPG PSR w/cooler & filter, etc...
NickPic83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

FRF Addict

(Thread Starter)
Low beams will not fire have to flash highs then go to low. Lows only stay on for a few minutes then go off. Hit high besms again they work then flash to low. Low will not stay on for more than a few minutes thengo off.

After a few times the lows will not come on only the highs. Cannot drive with 50 watt highs on the interstate.

2015 Z06 C7
Old 11-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I have had the same thing happen to mine.. Since Dawson will most likely send a new harness and control module. You can make an emergency bypass by cutting the harness at the controller and hardwiring it.. As soon as I get home I will dig out my notes.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)
Squatting Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

FRF Gofur

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

That actually sounds like a bad ground. Mine did the same thing upon installation and I had to sand down my grounding point to bare metal before they operated properly.

As for the wiring plugs, mine didn't like staying seated properly either so I hit the leads with dielectric grease, reinserted them into the plugs to ensure they were fully seated, plugged them in, zip tied the plugs together and then wrapped everything extremely tight with electrical tape. I did this in an attempt to keep the wires from possibly pulling loose and to make sure the plugs themselves didn't separate with movement. Haven't had an issue since then.
NickPic83 likes this.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 576 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

it's not illegal to leave your high beams on how ever you wouldn't want to be drunk or stoned. Guaranteed to be pulled over and asked why you are not dimming...

2012 #3105 Diablosport tune aFe stage 2 SW Headers Xpipe true duel S-type muffler 361rwhp
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I agree with checking the grounds and all connections. FIRST! Most if not all problems come from that..

If not any of the above, the next most common point of failure is the module.. After 3 revisions of this module with Dawson, so far no more issues.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)
Squatting Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The harness/relay is a known weak point for our hid retrofits. I have personally had 3 bad ones. When I first got into HIDs, my initial harness was bad right out of the box and being unfamiliar with the workings at that time I liked to have never figured out what was wrong.

Thats my guess. Gonna need a test light to do any sort of pinpoint diagnostics on them.

Morimoto is the "best" of what is out there but I for one would pay $300 for a real, durable, weatherproof reliable harness. They just dont make them. The harness is the weakest link for any retrofit.

Hey...maybe I should look into making a reliable harness.

I tell you what wouldnt be a bad idea...to make some sort of emergency use only backup harness that would fire low beams only.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
If anyone knows Dawsons number please pm me. Am in Colorado and am having big time problems with my lights again. Have 600 miles to go with no low beams... Dawson please check your pm.
I have OEM hids so I dont know about Dawsons but why couldn't you turn your high beams on and then turn your low beams on....unplug the connector for the projectors (and leave it unplugged) and then turn your high beams back on. Should get you home..your relay would think it was high beams but your projector would be stuck on low beam.

Loaded|Mid Perch|2014 Special Edition Beadlock Wheels|35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires|40" Rigid LED Upper Grille Kit|20" Rigid LED Lower Grille Kit|Viair On-board Air Compressor w/ Grover Emergency Air Horn|Weathertech Mats|Custom Red Accent Vinyl
hosseface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

FRF Addict

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies!! This is a tough one to do but adjusted the headlights down as far as they would go to get me home. Stockers going back in next week. Second time these have failed and this time a long way from home.

2015 Z06 C7