HID Projector Output Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The oem high beams look more complete, they don't have the width of the other ones, but it also doesn't look like something was thrown on top of the low beams to make the high beams

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The oem high beams look more complete, they don't have the width of the other ones, but it also doesn't look like something was thrown on top of the low beams to make the high beams

Not to be mean spirited but No Fricking Way. Need to get some more experience in the real world then make a comment. Do you even know how they work?

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not how the lights look, how the beam looks, the high beams on the aftermarket lights look like their low beams with an extra, small strip of light on top, while the OEM light has separate low and high beams, the high beam being more to the effect of a flood light, and there's a reason you get offroading lights, so you don't blind oncoming traffic with your normal headlights, there's a reason the OEMs are not that wide, it's the law for them to be focused off the road and not at the oncoming lane

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

look at any of the aftermarket lights low and high beams side by side, there is very little difference, where as the OEM has 100% more light output in high than it does in low

996Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not how the lights look, how the beam looks, the high beams on the aftermarket lights look like their low beams with an extra, small strip of light on top, while the OEM light has separate low and high beams, the high beam being more to the effect of a flood light, and there's a reason you get offroading lights, so you don't blind oncoming traffic with your normal headlights, there's a reason the OEMs are not that wide, it's the law for them to be focused off the road and not at the oncoming lane

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

look at any of the aftermarket lights low and high beams side by side, there is very little difference, where as the OEM has 100% more light output in high than it does in low

The OEM lights have one bulb, there is not a separate low and high bulb. All of the lights pictured work the same way. They have one bulb and a shield that moves when you turn the high beams on. I have the OEM lights now and can't wait to have Dawson put FXR projectors in my headlights. There is a HUGE difference in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this is the best one IMO (EvoX-R High) light up the hole room. Ironman is this what I'm getting?

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying OEMs are better by the way, I know they have less output, but if I'm on the road, I want my high beams to be much more substantial than my low beams, so that my low beams don't blind oncoming traffic and my high beams actually put out a good amount of light, which they sure look like they do in those pictures, remember that where the light is directed can be much more important than light output when it comes to how far you can see, if you want a shit ton of light, get separate offroad lights to go with your headlights, you don't need ridiculously bright headlights, maybe I'm just tired of the idiots with aftermarket HIDs that run on the freeway blinding the oncoming lanes and being a safety risk and they'll never need that much light from their headlights, and I don't want to be one of those guys

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off. The ls460's are OEM so rule out the width comment. Join hidplanet.net and they'll tell you more info in that department.
Second off, OEM projectors might never be a crisp and evenly spreadout beam pattern as aftermarkets with the exception of the LS460's. although, getting better thru the years so im sure in a matter of time.......Even the LS460's require some attending to to be completely the best projectors. This is why I chose to retrofit. If I ever downgrade to the 13 heads (I only say downgrade bc there seems to be more projector upgrades retrofitting our 12's) , ill be upgrading with retrofitting in those as well. That's a big if but I am starting to like the way the13's look with some added LEDs and black paint. This projector discussion is what I mentioned before the 13's even came to surface. That being said, the projector upgraded heads I knew off bat wasn't a biggy to me. Myself, coming from retrofitting years before in other vehicles helps as well. I learned thru hidplanet and familiarized myself with different model vehicles also.

Last edited:

996Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying OEMs are better by the way, I know they have less output, but if I'm on the road, I want my high beams to be much more substantial than my low beams, so that my low beams don't blind oncoming traffic and my high beams actually put out a good amount of light, which they sure look like they do in those pictures, remember that where the light is directed can be much more important than light output when it comes to how far you can see, if you want a shit ton of light, get separate offroad lights to go with your headlights, you don't need ridiculously bright headlights, maybe I'm just tired of the idiots with aftermarket HIDs that run on the freeway blinding the oncoming lanes and being a safety risk and they'll never need that much light from their headlights, and I don't want to be one of those guys

Believe me, I am the same way when it comes to the people that throw $100 pnp hid bulbs in their stock halogen headlights. The new projectors shown above will give a better spread of light and a sharper cutoff. The glare will be the same or most likely better than oem. I would suggest like above to join hidplanet.com. I have learned a lot about HID lights over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would rather stay stock halogens with my 12' than throwing cheap drop in hids. Junk!

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ok now for the HID lesson:

First---I have had 10 vehicles that had HID lights from the factory. Everything from AMG Benz's to the Cobra. NONE and I mean None perform with the Raptor Retrofit lights on my truck period end of discussion!! That being said mine have a 50w power supply and are driving Osram 4200k bulbs. Now last month put the Hella HID system on the Jeep and it is running 35w with the Osram bulbs. The Hella is DOT and it is not in the same class as my FXR Raptor Retrofits even if they do cost more lol.

Why you ask? Good Question Grasshopper! The projector throws a More even light and the cut off is RAZOR sharp. With the Raptor Retrofit lights fog or "non" long range lights are a waste of money.

Been there done that and spent quite a bit of money tinkering with lights over the last 35 years lol..

BTW---mine are adjusted perfectly so --- no flashing me on the road..