TMX skid plate install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after beating the crap out of the flimsy ass stock skid plate at Silver Lake with the rest of the FRF folks I had to do something to fix the front of my truck. A new pre-runner bumper is on the wish list but some ******* decided to buy a ring and get engaged (I love you honey) and needless to say the mod budget for the Raptor shrank just a BIT!!!

Armed with a new smaller budget I started looking at replacement skid plates. Checked out the stock replacement skid plate and the reinforced Ford racing plate. One the Ford racing plate ain't cheep but WTF why is the stock one twice as much... So I fire up FRF to come up with some ideas and low and behold TMW has a new thread with pictures of their new skid plate. Looked at a few other options and ended up ordering a plate from these guys.

Biggest reason I chose the TMW plate was because it looked trim and very well reinforced. I liked how their plate trims down and does not extend beyond the lower A-arm mount. When it showed up today I can not only say the plate is MUCH MUCH stronger than the stock skid plate but it looks damn GOOD!!!

Installation literally took 18 minutes and I spent most of that time getting the impact and creeper out and taking pictures. 6 bolts zip, zip, zip...

Probably the biggest surprise was just how much more clearance the TMW skid plate gives over stock. The new plate goes strait back several inches before angling down to the lower mount.

Another nice touch is much better access to the oil filter, still well protected but no more PIA access plate to remove to change the filter.

Some might note that the plate is not quit level up front. That's not the MTW plate. When I remodeled the stock plate I bent the passenger side bracket a bit. Didn't have time to straight it out tonight had to get the munchkin to football.

A few B4 n after pics.

New TMW skid
ForumRunner_20120814_215607.jpg
B4
ForumRunner_20120814_215503.jpg
New plate
ForumRunner_20120814_215534.jpg

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Haha damn dude you did do a number to your stocker! How'd ya do that?

TMX Skid looks awesome though.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree! I like how all the reinforcement ridges are on the upper side, leaving the visible side smooth/sleek looking. Definitely way more clearance. Very well designed and already have had compliments on it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345007286.602178.jpg

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Donk. Glad you like the new skid plate. You hit on all the reasons we decided to build this skid plate...we hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for your purchase!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donk74

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha damn dude you did do a number to your stocker! How'd ya do that?

TMX Skid looks awesome though.

Miss timed the whoops at the bottom of a few hills at Silver Lake. I hit the whoops at speed, compressed the front suspension and buried the skid plate into the side of the hill. Took me a few tries to figure this out but I needed to lift just B4 the whoops to let the nose come up then put the hammer down :)

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Miss timed the whoops at the bottom of a few hills at Silver Lake. I hit the whoops at speed, compressed the front suspension and buried the skid plate into the side of the hill. Took me a few tries to figure this out but I needed to lift just B4 the whoops to let the nose come up then put the hammer down :)

Yeah, whoops are kind of an art aren't they? I had em down on my dirt bike, but still learning a lot about them in my truck.