TSB 11-4-7 - Third Brake / Cargo Light / High Mounted Stop Lamp TSB/SSM and Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been reading a lot lately about several folks discovering that their 3rd brake light is leaking. I've read that the results from that leak can range from no problems, to headliner staining, to hill decent control faults, ABS faults, to who knows what else. Bottom line? Ya really REALLY don't want that thing leaking.

Here's the SSM that deals with it
Hill Decent Control Fault. SSM 21317

Oasis special service message number: 21317
message title: 2010 svt raptor - hill decent control fault and dtc c116a

applicable vehicles :
2010 truck : 00029 f-series ld

oasis message :
Some 2010 f-150 svt raptor vehicles may exhibit hill decent control fault with
abs dtc c116a. On vehicles built before 2/26/2010 only, inspect the high mounted
stop lamp for evidence of water intrusion. Refer to wsm section 417-01 for
replacement details part number al3z-13200-a. Torque screws to 1.5 nm / 13
lb-in. No water intrusion follow wsm section 206-09, pin point test i. Note: It
is normal for the brake pressure (brakpres) pid to occasionally spike high due
to test pulse sent to the pressure sensor by the abs module. In addition, brake
pressure signals as low as -225 psi without brake apply should also be
considered normal. .

Applicable symptom codes :
200000 electrical
206000 electrical warning indicators
300000 chassis
301000 chassis service brake system
I've never had a problem, but mine was built before the SSM's cutoff date, so I figured I'd better be safe that sorry since I'm out of warranty. At a minimum Ford wants somewhere around $400 to replace the light (before labor!) and who knows what else to diagnose any other problems the leak caused. So I pulled it down and lined the edge with a bead of window and door silicone. I didn't find a how-to really, so I figured I'd make one just 'cause.

Here's what mine looks like before the fix. A little weird, but no water leakage that I can tell:
1.jpg

2.jpg

To pull it down, grab a #2 phillips screwdriver and slowly back out the two screws holding it in place
7.jpg

3.jpg

A quarter turn clockwise on each socket will free it from the housing, and a quick press to release the clip drops the LED connector. I didn't bother since its simple enough to apply the silicone with it up there, but if your housing is wet or dirty, ya might want to so its easier to dry out and clean up.

Clean the area and the gasket. I used some denatured alcohol on the paint, and just a dry rag on the gasket. Make sure all surfaces are bone dry before proceeding. If yours is wet, you can use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.

4.jpg

Now apply your silicone. I used GE Silicone II in white for demo purposes, but you'd probably want to go with black or clear. If you can't find the GE stuff, make sure you pick a silicone that stays flexible, is waterproof and wont dry out with UV exposure.
GE-Silicone-GE281-rw-208187-317278.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Carefully reattach the sockets to the housing (a quarter turn counter clockwise) and the LED connector by reclipping it in if you pulled the light all the way off, slide the light back in place and tighten down your screws. Don't tighten too much! You'll crack the plastic if you do. Also be careful not to cross thread your screws; a firm press before ******** in made sure mine were seated correctly.

I didn't use a dab of silicone on the screws, but you could if you wanted to be extra sure.

In theory, when a bulb blows this should pull off with the gentle help of a putty knife. I should then be able to clean up the old silicone, replace the bulb(s), reapply new and all should be well.

All told this took 10 minutes start to finish, including a few minutes of cleaning up the silicone that squeezed out the sides (I used a q-tip and ran it along the edges, wiping it off as I went). Time well spent given the serious headaches a leak up there can cause, and cost!

Last edited:

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
excellent idea man thanx for the info i havent had any issues with my 2012 but might just do this to avoid future problems an be safe

renegadeagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Hill Decent Control Fault while riding on the expressway.The brake lights stayed continously on,as if applying the brakes.Pulled over on the emergency lane and removed the the third brake light,unpluged the cable and corrected for the moment.When claiming warranty at Ford had to wait for their review and approval,after the service rep took some photos and sent them for review.1 month went thru but was replaced nevertheless.I had temporaly placed gasket seal bought at Wal>>.Up to moment all ok.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
that's a great idea and write up J. it's amazing how many problems can be avoided and fixed with a little caulk.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

snoopfacepalm.png

f16YODA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write-up, BigJ. I'll probably do this when I pull the light off to smoke it out.

I hear Birdman prefers black caulk though...

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the dealer fix mine and replace the carpet in the truck........

shthpnz

Reaction score
On my 2010 Raptor the Hill Descent Warning came on today. It was raining. I think I have to crawl up there and fix it as described above. thanks for the How To!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD