Ssm 22513

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing an intermittent knocking sound coming from what appears to be the right front. Only happens when I hit certain size bumps (smaller).

Brought the truck (2013 Scab) into the dealer to have it looked at. They couldn't find anything and felt the SSM listed above was the cause of the noise. Sounds likely the case. Just thought I would post it in case anyone else experiences the same.

Here it is:

SSM 22513 - SVT Raptor - Shock Absorber Noise Over Bumps

2010 - 2013 F-150 SVT Raptor Vehicles are equipped with unique high - performance Fox shock absorbers designed for severe off - road use. Some customers may be concerned with boom, chirp or clunk noises from the front or rear shock absorbers most often heard over small, sharp bumps in the road such as frost heaves, pot holes or expansion joints. This is a normal characteristic originating from the hydraulic motion of the fluid and inherent to the unique design of the shock absorbers. It is not caused by contact of any suspension components, nor will this condition have any detrimental effect on the life of the shock absorbers or suspension. Do not attempt to correct this normal condition.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what Ford says. That's their way of getting out of replacing IMHO poorly designed valving within the shocks. I've got the same clunking issue with mine. Ford says not to try to correct the issue, but I'm gettin the Fox 3.0's to correct my issue. Take that Ford..

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found 2 things.
1. the inner fender is loose held with push pins and has many connectors that are not held very tight(held with a push pin also). I added a sound deaden-er to both sides.
2. The right front shock on my truck was a bit loose. I tightened both left and right sides.
Definitely was a great help...

OP
OP
Rickoo

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing I noticed is that very cold temps seem to effect it. We had temps in the single digits or teens for a week or so and that's when I really noticed it. It's been in the 40s and 50s lately and it's gone.

Mogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it gets especially bad in the cold temps. It makes my truck sound like some kind of jalopy shitbox driving through a snowpacked and icy parking lot. Very frustrating.

I'm going to make the dealer do midperch sometime in the next couple of months and I'll make sure they torque everything back to factory specs. We'll see if that fixes it.

I've been driving my truck around like this for over a year now and nothing seems to have exploded or broken. I still think this SSM from Ford is ******** though.

SVTPilot

Reaction score
I've seen this issue written about by many on this and other forums. I wonder if the good folks at Ford have simply forgotten how to read and follow torque specs. My truck has the same noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crzyrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might start to notice another noise that is going on with my truck. I found a rectangle peice of rubber on the top of the driver side frame behind the rear tire that is loose and flops around. My tech said he has no idea what it is or what it is for. My opinion is that if this is installed on all our trucks then at some point it will come lose and start to make a knocking sound like your back seat is lose. Taking the truck in on Monday and the dealer is going to remove the bed and inspect it. Not sure if it can be tightened or if they are just going to remove it completely.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
The cold weather used to do that to my stock shocks. The ICONs don't make any noise no matter the temperature. I'd also take Hockster's advice and make sure the big blue bolt is properly torqued to ~400 lb-ft.