My 2013 Roush Raptor (Couple of issues)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisfast

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been on the forum for a while now, but haven't posted hardly anything. I love my truck, but a few concerns have come up and I thought I'd ask them here before going all over the internet. I did do a search for either one of my concerns, but nothing came out of them.
Here's what I have: 2013 Roush Raptor with the Phase 2 supercharger kit. It was installed by Roush before shipping it to the dealer in Il. The thing screams bloody murder and is an absolute whoot to drive.
Here's what the problem (s) are: The stupid boost gauge is always on full bright. Roush has the backlight come on as soon as the truck is started. Makes sense, since the gauge is tinted. Here's the bad news, at night it's blinding. It won't dim. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue with theirs. At this point, if there is no way to dim it with resistors or something else, I am just going to order a stock vent and pull the gauge out. I don't really need it anyway.
Second problem (about to show my age), the exhaust is just too loud. It drones at highway speeds like crazy. My wife told me last night she doesn't even want to take the thing to Denver, much less take a road trip in it because it's so obnoxious. I actually agree that it's too loud (first time for everything). I have sports cars and that to me is what they are for, not the truck. So far I've come up with two fixes. One, install resonators. Problem is I don't know if that will quiet it down enough. Two, put a stock exhaust on the truck. I dig the way the Roush looks, but can't believe it's so loud.
Anyway, thought I'd throw these two issues out there and see if anyone has a solution, other than what I've come up with. Here's a pic of the truck when I got it home. Since I got it I've had the bed and wheel liners sprayed by Rhino and added the Rigid D2 Dually foglights. Also, the fenders and bumpers were painted, which I think makes him more of a sleeper. I love this thing, but I just want to get these two little things remedied. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Rex.jpg
    Rex.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 102

MontanaSkiRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have the same problem, Roush is aware of that gauge problem and they suggested using window tint to dim it. I got some from a shop 18% it works well and you can layer it as well. They use the same gauge in the mustangs but where it's placed in them it's not an issue.

OP
OP
C

Chrisfast

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I talked to Roush too and that was the advice they gave me. Went a different way and wired in a dimmer switch and the located it under the dash. Works great. Full bright during the day and easy to dim at night now.
Also installed a MagnaFlow muffler straight thru muffler in front of the Roush one. No power difference, but quieter and no drone. Thanks again for the reply!

OP
OP
C

Chrisfast

Reaction score
Here's the one I got. It doesn't dim very uniform, but it definitely does a decent job. Don't follow the directions. Thankfully I had a friend who is an Audi tech and he knew that the directions were wrong. Auto Meter 9114 LED Lighting Dimmer

SFD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, first night driving it at night was a trip to Canada & it was blinding. I will look into that dimmer & see how it works.

You should be able to find a stock exhaust cheap, lots of guys here are running aftermarket cat back's.

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great truck congrats! looks like you got the exhaust figured out, but I had the same issue and it got some better when we welded the stock resonator back in line. unfortunately being a roush factory truck you probably never had yours, so nice work with the swap.