How To Wire Raptor AUX upfitter switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Just finished wiring a 40" light bar in my Raptor using this tutorial. Great Job on the pictures! I was surprised to see how accessible the wires were and easy to find. Now Soldering under the dash was not real easy but manageable.

A couple of things to add. You DO NOT have to use the Ford's recommended wiring connection from the switches to the wires under the hood. My light bar needs to be fused for 15 amps so I connected the Aux 1 (yellow) to the 15 Amp fused wire (blue) so I could still use the Aux 1 switch. I also connected the Aux 2 to the 10 amp wire for my next light bar.

One more thing to add you should only be soldering your connections, if you don't know how, search youtube for a how to video.

Here is the website I used to reference the wires for the Aux switches and the fuse ratings under the hood. I have a 2013 Raptor and the wiring colors were correct.
Instructions for Ford Raptor upfitter switches

The under hood or "pass through" wires are all the same gauge and do not directly correspond to any of the aux switch wires. In other words there is no specific amp rating for them.

Banned
Reaction score
speaking of the upfitter switches, can someone get me measurements of the switches? just the black part picture below

raptor_aux_switch.jpg

would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Jurassic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i get home with the help of the manual ill sketch up some schematics cause this whole downstream upstream termology, im just not comprehending what yall are doing and doesnt seem to make sense or why its even working for that matter. I am a electrical/instrumentation designer by trade and i just dont visualize it. I will follow up to this.

Now please consider i have not popped my hood and done and verification yet but this evening when i get off in a hour i will.

Mr Jurassic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The under hood or "pass through" wires are all the same gauge and do not directly correspond to any of the aux switch wires. In other words there is no specific amp rating for them.

Your partially correct birdman... but the sizes of the wires comeing from the relays through the firewall are different sizes that correspond to the expected current draw. I'm specifically talking about the yellow and the green/brown. But it will work you can always go smaller.

I will post up my schem tommorrow I cannot get them to load from my phone.
I made this a little fool proof

Mr Jurassic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,
Here are my findings from yesterday evening.
It confirmed what yall are doing is correct and it also identified the wires yall are soldering to as a potential fire hazard if you use a 30amp draw.
I took pictures of everything that i have identified and to support my findings.
Oh and I named the relay's "R-Aux-1" through 4 these are your "upfitter relays"

Ladder Logic.jpg

Location Diagram.jpg

Aux Switch Plug Pinout.jpg

Relay diagram book.jpg

Relay bottum wiring (1).jpg

Relay bottum wiring (2).jpg

Relay Pin Out.jpg

Aux switches plug (1).jpg

Aux switches plug (2).jpg

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I've got a question that I don't believe has been answered yet.

I'm installing a 40 inch LED bar and using switch #1. Can I wire switches #2-4 while I have the glove box off and small feminine hands of one of my friends? Ya know, so I don't have to go through this whole process again?? Just open the hood when I add accessories.....

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I've got a question that I don't believe has been answered yet.

I'm installing a 40 inch LED bar and using switch #1. Can I wire switches #2-4 while I have the glove box off and small feminine hands of one of my friends? Ya know, so I don't have to go through this whole process again?? Just open the hood when I add accessories.....

Sure it won't hurt anything just remember which wires you hooked up and I would pull the fuses until you're ready to use them.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent write up!!!!
However you forgot to add the placement of a pan on the passenger's side floor to collect the huge amount of blood loss while connecting the wires......

Russ Out

Read this thread last night, laughed at this quote, then went out to my truck to wire some stuff up telling myself I'd be careful. Holy hell, you're not even kidding. My hands look like I tried to install new string in a weed eater without turning the motor off first.

I've learned a valuable lesson about how sharp freaking plastic can be.

Last edited:

GhostInTheMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: Why doesn't the wiring from the upfitters just pass thru the firewall, rather than have to connect them to the pass thru wires? Only thing I can think of is, if you want to connect an upfitter to a device INSIDE the vehicle. Not sure what that would be though. Thanks for the write-up. Well done!

I wired one of mine up to my boost gauge so I can shut it off at night.

Roush gauge. It's really bright on those desolate dark nights. You know the kind where you shut off your nav display?