How To Valentine V1 Radar install DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today was time to install my Valentine V1 radar detector. I had a mount from another car so I thought I'd try in the Raptor and it fit. The mount is a little loose, but doesn't move much and I'm OK with it.

I don't have a sunroof and wanted to tap existing wires so I found the wire harness that plugs into the light and rear window switch provided the necessary connections.

Just use a pry bar like the pic and the panel will pop right out.

Blue wire is the 12v and the black wire with yellow stripe provided the ground.

Pics of install:

Pry the panel out gently:

008.jpg

003.jpg

Tap the blue wire for 12V and black/yellow stripe for ground:

005.jpg

Use inline wire taps and turn key to make sure it powers off and on, there is lots of room to fit the extra wire, just tuck them up in the roof panel:

007.jpg

All put back together and ready for speeding:

009.jpg

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man,

I already have the V1 installed but I ordered Led bulb replacements for the map light and was wondering how to get the module out

Rabnud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My V1 has alerted me several times to speed traps, both in Cali and here in Ohio. It stays in my '03 Cobra for that reason. I might do this mod though, would be nice for long trips!

Yogurt Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine this will work with my Passport?? Same principal just diff Detector... BTW I loved my Valentine but have had much success with my new Passport. Both are great detectors... But remember you pay for quality.....

Rusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a clean install.
However, in states like VA or DC, they frown on it to the point of confiscating the device. If they choose to be a pri-ck about it.

Since this looks to ba a Permanent mount, and the police could forcable remove it, that could be an issue.

I have never been in that situation, I'm not sure how they would remove it.

Additionally it does look rather obvious as to what it is. Some jurisdictions will pull you over just for it being there. What says more that I like to speed than an exposed V1 hanging from the review mirror, and if they wanted to be a real pain in the ass, they could say it is obstructing your view
I use a passport 9500 CI. it is built in and is not as obvious as your device.
I am not saying the V1 is bad, quite the contrary it is an excellent device.

We all know instant on is the culprit here, wiether or not it be Radar or Lazer.

I do like the install. It is thoughtful and well excuted.
Rusty

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this same install with my passport. Turned out just as clean as JTRAX install. BlendMount makes mirror mounts for most of the high end detectors. One thing I did different than JTRAX is that I also purchased their miror tap power cord. No splicing wires just plug the taps right into the plug in the back of the mirror (requires a bit of fiddling to get the taps in so take your time). Was an extra few bucks but no permanent mod to the truck & it ends up looking really clean.

Todd2

Reaction score
I tapped into the back of the mirror also, but I use the rubber suction cup mounts to the windshield, just to the left of the mirror. It's a little harder to spot and I can quickly take it down and lock it in the center console, if need be.

Todd