How To Shock Security Lock Washer Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antlers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a recent theft of my rear shocks, I decided to look for a product that could protect them from repeat theft. After a bit of research I came upon Shock Security. It looked like a good, simple solution so, after a brief discussion with them, ordered a set. They did inform me that the upper shock mount bolts would need to be replaced with standard non-flanged bolts in order to fit into the lock washers. I found that M12x1.75 was the stock thread pitch and that they needed to be 70mm long with a 19mm head. These are what I ended up ordering:

Bolts
Nuts

IMG_0700_zpshtkm0bcr.jpg

IMG_0698_zps9ssfyw6h.jpg

With everything sorted it was time to install.

Tools required:

- 2 1/2" drive ratchets or equivalent. (1" wrench or Crescent wrench would work too)

-Torque wrench

-19mm socket

-19mm wrench

-Shock Security Keys (2 included)

-Prybar

-Red Loctite (optional)

IMG_0699_zpsp0lf1ay6.jpg

I began by jacking up the truck enough for the suspension to droop and removed the top bolt. I then inserted the new bolt with Shock security Washer installed (this involved a little prybar action, but I'm sure there's a better way. I was doing this in a parking lot and had to make do. Shock Security sends two different types of washer. One is shallower for the bolt head, one is deeper for the nut. The difference is obvious.

IMG_0705_zps3ltipaxa.jpg

Snug up the bolts with the included keys and then torque to 66 Ft/Lbs.

IMG_0704_zpsjilsvwtl.jpg

IMG_0708_zpsqz8ruuse.jpg

IMG_0702_zps1emhdci2.jpg

The keys are machined with pretty tight tolerances so it does take a bit of wiggling to get them all lined up. Make sure they're fully seated before applying any serious torque.

Sleep easy knowing your shocks are safe from anything but the most determined thieves.

IMG_0710_zpsc7pmcbal.jpg

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Antlers awesome thank you for this as I don't have to search for the nuts/bolts now. Got my shock security package the other day just need the rear 3.0's haha and these suckers are going in.

OP
OP
Antlers

Antlers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome guys! They are a bit spendy, but I'm pretty sure it's just one guy doing it on the side. Price is always higher when Ching Chong Charlie isn't involved.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a good idea, it would be nice if they made these for light bar bolts.

Just drill your light bar bolts, run some safety wire through the holes, and twist it so tight that it's hard to see and hard to cut. It'll be an unexpected difficulty that will do much to frustrate a theft.