How To Installing steering fluid cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a couple of very taxing runs on my truck's steering this past month, I decided I wanted to enhance the system by adding a little more volume and cooling to the steering fluid. I decided to use an ALLSTAR PERFORMANCE cooler #52100 that holds about a pint and was perfect for installing in line with the reservoir and OEM cooler in the radiator. It claims to lower temps by 15 degrees and was reasonably priced at $42 shipped.
ALL521001.jpg
I knew exactly where it would fit well. under the hood just to the right of the radiator behind the rubber deflector.
DSCF0007.jpg
I used two 90* #6 AN fittings to tap into the steering reservoir line that runs to the Radiator.
I ran the line from the Radiator cooler to the top of the cooler through one of the 90's and the bottom of the cooler 90 I ran to the RPG steering fluid reservoir. Very simple hook up.
DSCF0015.jpg
DSCF0014.jpg
This line goes to the bottom of the cooler from the 90* fitting.
DSCF0020.jpg

I made a couple of 90* brackets that attach to the radiator mounting bolts in the front and attached the cooler to that . The cooler is slotted on one side to hold a small 7/16 bolt head so it does not turn and you can slide it where ever you want to mount it. In this picture you can see the lower bracket I made. Upper one is the same thing.
DSCF0014.jpg
In this picture you can see the slot that the mounting bolts run into.

DSCF0009.jpg
This picture shows the 2 bolts I took out and attached the 90* brackets to.
DSCF0008.jpg

Easy Cheap upgrade that can make a lot of difference in your cooling of the power steering and help protect the steering pump.
Mil T

Last edited:

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mill, which way does the PS fluid flow?

Does the PS reservoir get filled by the 3/8" line or 1/2" line?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up and a simple mod to improve the system.
Did you cut a hole in the rubber deflector to get done better air flow over the cooler?
Notice any improvement?

Let me make sure I understand.
Pump, cooler in the condenser, in line cooler, then RPG reservoir?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com