How To Install A Mag-Hytec Rear Differential Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to extend my breathers but after looking at where and how they are mounted I'm not too worried. I think the water intrusion problem will more likely be from the rapid temperature differential between the axle and water that allows water past the seals. If it's coming in through the breather line I'll just accept the fact I need to flush fluids afterwards.

The sight glass adds peace of mind that I can instantly check for water intrusion and not have to do an exploratory drain.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've done several water crossings in the Colorado Rockies that did not threaten to put that short factory breather hose under water, but that's simply a matter of circumstance. I don't have a marvelous track record controlling circumstance, so I'm going to extend that breather hose up into the highest part of the engine compartment. (The real hard core guys run it into the cab. That wouldn't bother me because I don't have a sense of smell, but I doubt that my wife would enjoy the smell of gear oil.)

Where are the breathers for the front differential, transfer case, and transmission??? I can't find them.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JR, once you're under there you will notice a short length of hose running upward from the driver's side of the rear axel to the underside of the bed. That's the breather for the rear axel. At the very least you'll want to put a hose clamp on that hose where it meets the axel. I bought 18 feet of 5/16 fuel hose and ran the breather hose up into the highest part of the engine compartment. That's where the breather hose for the front axel is, BTW.

This job is a piece of cake with but a single exception: getting the factory cover off can be really challenging. They glue that thing on but good!

Last edited:

JRaptor11

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I managed to break a bolt off in the pumpkin today. Got a fellow Raptor helping me square this away tomorrow.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I said that that getting the factory cover off was the hard part, but THAT'S TERRIBLE! I hope the bolt extraction goes well tomorrow.