How To Install A Mag-Hytec Rear Differential Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be doing this shortly and was wondering about the breather. One poster here mentioned that he'd lengthened his breather hose and extended it all the way up between the bed and the cab. Another option is the ARM Differential Breather Kit: ARB Differential Breather Kit (170112) This looks like a good option to me. It uses 8mm tubing, though, and I am unsure whether this is compatible with the factory breather fitting. Does anyone have any experience with this breather, and does anyone know whether the 8mm tubing will work?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing this shortly and was wondering about the breather. One poster here mentioned that he'd lengthened his breather hose and extended it all the way up between the bed and the cab. Another option is the ARM Differential Breather Kit: ARB Differential Breather Kit (170112) This looks like a good option to me. It uses 8mm tubing, though, and I am unsure whether this is compatible with the factory breather fitting. Does anyone have any experience with this breather, and does anyone know whether the 8mm tubing will work?

:smiley-face-popcorn :smiley-face-popcorn :smiley-face-popcorn :smiley-face-popcorn :smiley-face-popcorn We're subscribed for that answer as well...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A good Youtube vid on the virtues of breathers for driveline components:

Diff Breathers - YouTube

I have written to ARB Tech Support inquiring as to the applicability of their Differential Breather Kit to the Raptor. Will report their response here.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the response from ARB:

"The Diff breather kit is geared more towards foreign vehicles with metric fittings.. That said, if you're planning to use it on the transmission and t-case as well as axles, you should only need to source the proper barbed fittings to hook everything up at the opposite end of the breather manifold. The kit includes 3 plugs to block off ports in the manifold should you choose to only do the rear axle, but you will still need to source your own barbed fitting for the 8mm tubing at the axle end. All the screw in fittngs and plugs in the kit are 1/8" BSP. Please let us know if you have further questions."

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
R1jamn wrote, "Take a rubber mallet and rap the cover a few times to break the seal and let the old gear oil drain out."

Oh boy, that wasn't my experience at all! My big rubber mallet wouldn't budge it. I had to drive a chisel in at the edges with a hammer (judiciously, of course), and then clean up the surface scratches with a stone once it finally broke loose. Removal of the factory cover is the most difficult part of this project.

OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^

LOL
That made me laugh.
That SOB is on there good, as Ruger has found out.

I used a big dead blow hammer. It'll move.
Definitely take a stone to the face of the differential housing after using a chisel to pry it open.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HA! Yeah, I dropped the spare tire and pounded on it from every angle the human shoulder and elbow could manage. Nothing!

I consider this a design flaw. Does Ford and the SVT team expect truck owners to never service the differential? That's stupid! How much more would it add to the cost of building the truck if they'd added a drain port to go with the fill port? Fifty cents? A dollar? Totally stupid.

I'm going to get a transmission pan from Chris@FreedomMotorsports as soon as Mag-Hytec releases them for retail sale. Same stupid problem, same solution.

Hey R1, did you install a breather? I think that's what the small port on the top of the Mag-Hytec cover is for. I wish I knew the diameter and thread pitch for that port.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It certainly would be easier if the stock cover had a drain plug.
Ford believes the fluid should not be changed out. Perhaps its a warranty issue.
If the rear diff fluid should leak out then Ford would have to pony up for a new rear diff.

The stock breather is still on my Raptor.
I'm fine with it. It is placed up very high and covered up.
The 1/8 NPT port hole on the Mag-Hytec is for a temperature sending unit.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
R1, I see you have a 2014. My 2011 doesn't seem to have a breather. If it does, I can't find it. Where is the breather on the differential?

Update: I found it. It's on the axel on the driver's side. I thought it would be on the pumkin.

Last edited: