How to Set Your Side View Mirrors (Seriously)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The vast majority of drivers set their side view mirrors to show traffic far back down the adjacent traffic lanes.

If you set them properly they'll cover your blindspots! That way if you don't see a vehicle in your blindspots (or in your rearview mirror further back in either lane) you can do a quick lane change. :waytogo:

Once you get used to this you'll wonder how the hell you ever went without them set this way.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots-graphic-photo-323365-s-original.jpg

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan, Nice write up you've made some very valid points. I drive for a living and I know mirrors play a pivotal role in accident avoidance. I would agree that most drivers do not position their mirrors out far enough to be effective. However, I would also say that when driving a wide vehicle, like the Raptor, or one with a wide rear swing, like a box truck. The driver must be able to see his own vehicle. Especially in tight locations / in and around town. Also, when pulling from the curb or changing lanes, as said in the video, you have to look over your left shoulder as well as signal your intentions.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
However, I would also say that when driving a wide vehicle, like the Raptor, or one with a wide rear swing, like a box truck. The driver must be able to see his own vehicle. Especially in tight locations / in and around town. Also, when pulling from the curb or changing lanes, as said in the video, you have to look over your left shoulder as well as signal your intentions.

Thanks for your kind words.

I do disagree with you about having to "see your own vehicle" in the side view mirrors - it's just not necessary. If you're squeezing through a really tight spot perhaps then you'd benefit from seeing the back of the truck but only if you're turning once you've squeezed the front end in between the obstacles. And in those situations you're better off readjusting your mirrors for that moment and then returning them to position using the seat side button.

By the way, if the mirrors are set properly you do NOT have to look over your shoulder.

And that's the crux of the issue with resetting the side view mirrors for a wider view - it's UNCOMFORTABLE until you get used to it. But when you do you'll use your rearview mirror to see what's behind you and you'll use your side view mirrors to see if the lanes to either side of your Raptor are clear to move into.

It's a whole new driving experience (and it's way better)! :waytogo:

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
If you actually CHECK your blind spots while driving it doesn't matter how your mirrors are set. I have mine set to just show the side of the truck bed fenders. Mine have always been set like this. It gives you a sense of distance you are from something. Without it you just know something is... over there. could be 1 foot could be 10 you don't know.
I was a driving instructor for 2 years before I moved so I know what I'm talking about

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I set mine out pretty wide, usually so I can see what's in my blind spots.

Honestly though, I don't use them for lane changes much, I tend to look over my shoulder to check due to having ridden a motorcycle for a few years and almost getting killed by asshats that didn't do it. I've managed to see a few motorcycles that way that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Good write up though. I'd be not everyone thinks about this stuff.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Ditto, I think from riding motorcycles most of my life I always turn my head.

-Greg

Yeah, a motorcycle will tend to make you a better driver when you're in your cage too, simply because once you see an idiot make a mistake that almost kills you, you vow to not make the same mistake yourself.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the same as nearly everyone does for adjusting my side mirrors, just seeing the very edge bit of my vehicle. Thats how driving instructers told me, how my parents told me, and what seemed natural.

While at AAA driving school to get points for a speeding ticket dropped (whoops lol) I learned this method of adjusting my mirrors, and man is is FUNKY at first, but once you're used to it, it really is 100,000x's better. That is the PROPER way to adjust them that's for sure. You can rationalize or justify it anyway you want, but there's no advantage to NOT adjusting them like this.

I've even found in a lot of cars though, manufacturers don't even design the mirror for the full proper adjustment range. My dodge stealth the way they were adjusted was FULLY angled out as far as they could go, and it was perfect. With the Raptor, I don't have it quite to the angle they should be to be ideal for this method, because the autofold the glass hits the truck if they're like that, but the mirrors are SO friggin huge, they actually do cover a large enough area I've found a decent middle ground.

For those non-believers, try it for a week, fight any urge to readjust them inwards, and next time on the highway passing people and getting passed, watch as the cars always stay in view without ever needing to turn and look. It's moreso useful on cars with smaller mirrors, but still useful to an extent on our trucks dumbo ears as well.

The Brit

Reaction score
I like to adjust my side mirrors so that the image at the very edge of the review mirror is made up by the side view mirrors. This pushes the side mirrors out so that you cannot see the sides of the truck, and thus covers the blind spots at the sides of the truck, but also allows you complete coverage from left to middle to right. Works for me.

I see this thread getting hot and bothered with people's opinions :peace:

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Ive always had the side mirros cover the blind spots and just move my head if I need to see for vehicle clearance. On my RV, they are set the wrong way, but it has the wide view mirrors on the bottom I use to check for blind spots, and they are HUGE. Big rigs should also have the dual mirror setup, so it should be a non issue for the regular view mirrors to be set to see down the sides like what the other guy said....apples to oranges.

We have the wide view on the driver's side of the raptor, and you can totally see what I mean, but the passenger side does not have that feature....too small for practical use.

Typically, in passenger vehicles you can see whats behind you with the rear view mirror, and the side mirrors do no good if they are just showing you the same thing you see looking at the rear view, but big rigs and RVs have no rear view, so it IS VERY helpful to have your normal mirrors set to show your vehicles sides so you can see approaching traffic before it is right next to you. Planning ahead for changing lanes is absolutely critical to see if emergency vehicles or ******** are driving way over the speed limit and coming up to fast for you to cut off safely.

Its complicated to wrap your head around if you havent at least driven a U-Haul, or towed a trailer that obscures your direct line of sight to the rear. For those that have, it should make total sense what Joker is saying.

I grew up learning if you drive faster than everyone else, then "what's behind you, makes no difference":waytogo: