FAQ How does the outside temp reading work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
External Temperature Display

The ambient air temperature sensor is monitored by the PCM. The PCM sends the raw value through the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) to the Body Control Module (BCM), and from the BCM through the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) to the HVAC module. The HVAC module filters and stabilizes the value and sends it to the FDIM to display the temperature, through the MS-CAN .

While the actual external temperature can vary continuously, the value that is displayed updates at a specific rate depending on whether or not the engine is "hot" and whether or not the vehicle is moving.

When the external temperature is rising, the display updates slowly.

Updates (when the actual external temperature is higher than currently displayed value) is limited to 0.6°C (1°F) every 20 seconds while the vehicle is moving at greater than 24 km/h (15 mph) for more than 90 seconds or 0.6°C (1°F) every 20 minutes if the vehicle is not moving at this speed. This is to prevent the heat from the engine compartment from affecting the accuracy of the display.

When the external temperature is dropping, the display updates quickly.

Updates (when the actual external temperature is lower than currently displayed value) are limited to 0.6°C (1°F) every 2 seconds (regardless of vehicle speed). Consequently the display essentially follows the drop experienced by the external temperature thermistor.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to assume there is a reason for so many "steps". Does the PCM & BCM use this data? If not, why not just send it right to the HVAC module? I have seen things like this in other equipment, (digital X ray) & it has never been explained why.
Interesting logic regarding the rate of temp change, I had wondered about engine heat affecting the reading while in traffic or parked.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
External Temperature Display

The ambient air temperature sensor is monitored by the PCM. The PCM sends the raw value through the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) to the Body Control Module (BCM), and from the BCM through the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) to the HVAC module. The HVAC module filters and stabilizes the value and sends it to the FDIM to display the temperature, through the MS-CAN .

While the actual external temperature can vary continuously, the value that is displayed updates at a specific rate depending on whether or not the engine is "hot" and whether or not the vehicle is moving.

When the external temperature is rising, the display updates slowly.

Updates (when the actual external temperature is higher than currently displayed value) is limited to 0.6°C (1°F) every 20 seconds while the vehicle is moving at greater than 24 km/h (15 mph) for more than 90 seconds or 0.6°C (1°F) every 20 minutes if the vehicle is not moving at this speed. This is to prevent the heat from the engine compartment from affecting the accuracy of the display.

When the external temperature is dropping, the display updates quickly.

Updates (when the actual external temperature is lower than currently displayed value) are limited to 0.6°C (1°F) every 2 seconds (regardless of vehicle speed). Consequently the display essentially follows the drop experienced by the external temperature thermistor.

Great info. Where is the sensor located on the truck? Always wondered myself and people are always asking me where it is.
Thanks!

Cubdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My temp has been stuck at, 60 not sure if it worked after i got the PCM back from whipple or not, i will check the sensor today though. Any thoughts????