How To DIY Stubby Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After scouring the net for instructions on how to properly install a craven speed stubby antenna, my search came up short. Thanks to the great members of FRF and some knowledgeable techs at the various ford dealerships, I set off on my adventure to tackle this job in my driveway with a few basic tools.

Here is a detailed list of needed items:

-Stud finder
-Safety glasses
-Rubber mallet
-Grapefruit
-Lighter
-Hammer
-Vice grips
-Chanel locks
-Fire extinguisher
-3/8" wrench
-Staple Gun
-Locktite
-Silver bullet (most important)

891b93c0e3b77c916141042ae427cbe3.jpg

So with my killer set of tools, I set out to install this marvel of engineering known as the craven stubby antenna.

Let's take a deeper look at the product for a second:

ecaa1662a959fd3efa927a1dbdc450b9.jpg

Strict quality control at the craven factory. Thanks JL for making sure my stubby was flawless

19cfcd56ec0afacfe23e7e0bc7f3f077.jpg

Now time to install this bitch...

With safety googles on, I proceeded to hammer the stock antenna to loosen the threads with the rubber mallet. It wasn't enough so I then proceeded to heat it with my lighter and use a real hammer for the remaining loosening. Once the threads have given way, I used the channel locks and vice grips simultaneously to loosen it further. Didn't work so I busted out the trusted stud finder. Once I found the weak point, I used the 3/8" wrench for the final loosening of the stock unit. Reference pic:

4cab3fe6bd9b2a6f9265af3f1826d113.jpg

Phew.... the hard part is done. Slammed the CL tall boy and proceeded with the install.

I coated the threading on the stubby with some old crusty locktite I had.

50f94bdf8205c8a26c99633eb2f8548f.jpg

You see in the hood, you never know who's gonna walk off with your stubby. Now here's where the grapefruit comes in. I place the grapefruit on the hood every night as a peace offering. Works every time and I somehow wake up to my stubby still intact but the grapefruit is gone so I know it works.

Hopefully this helps some of ya'll that are hesitant to do this yourself. It's not as hard as it looks.

I have @Aaron coming over in a couple weeks to recalibrate my sync 3 module to communicate properly with the stubby. He may be able to elaborate further on those steps in the meantime.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Nicely done. I see you removed the pink sticker with your calibration code before posting. that was smart, as someone else could plug it into their vehicle and your stubby would be unusable.

We'll get you squared away though, this Sync3 is a little tougher to get calibrated to the stubby antenna but not impossible.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After scouring the net for instructions on how to properly install a craven speed stubby antenna, my search came up short. Thanks to the great members of FRF and some knowledgeable techs at the various ford dealerships, I set off on my adventure to tackle this job in my driveway with a few basic tools.

-Stud finder
-Safety glasses
-Rubber mallet
-Grapefruit
-Lighter
-Hammer
-Vice grips
-Chanel locks
-Fire extinguisher
-3/8" wrench
-Staple Gun
-Locktite

So with my killer set of tools, I set out to install this marvel of engineering known as the craven stubby antenna.

Strict quality control at the craven factory. Thanks JL for making sure my stubby was flawless

With safety googles on, I proceeded to hammer the stock antenna to loosen the threads with the rubber mallet. It wasn't enough so I then proceeds to heat it with my lighter and use a real hammer for the remaining loosening. Once the threads have given way, I used the channel locks and vice grips simultaneously to loosen it further. Didn't work so I busted out the trusted stud finder. Once I found the weak point, I used the 3/8" wrench for the final loosening of the stock unit. Reference pic:

Phew.... the hard part is done. Slammed the CL tall boy and proceeded with the install.

You see in the hood, you never know who's gonna walk off with your stubby. Now here's where the grapefruit comes in. I place the grapefruit on the hood every night as a peace offering. Works every time and I somehow wake up to my stubby still intact but the grapefruit is gone every time so I know it works.

Hopefully this helps some of ya'll that are hesitant to do this yourself. It's not as hard as it looks.

I have @Aaron coming over in a couple weeks to recalibrate my sync 3 module to communicate properly with the stubby. He may be able to elaborate further on those steps in the meantime.
Any reason other than cosmetic for the reduction? [emoji2]

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

-Stud finder
-Safety glasses
-Rubber mallet
-Grapefruit
-Lighter
-Hammer
-Vice grips
-Chanel locks
-Fire extinguisher
-3/8" wrench
-Staple Gun
-Locktite

With safety googles on, I proceeded to hammer the stock antenna to loosen the threads with the rubber mallet. It wasn't enough so I then proceeds to heat it with my lighter and use a real hammer for the remaining loosening. Once the threads have given way, I used the channel locks and vice grips simultaneously to loosen it further. Didn't work so I busted out the trusted stud finder. Once I found the weak point, I used the 3/8" wrench for the final loosening of the stock unit. Reference pic:

You see in the hood, you never know who's gonna walk off with your stubby. Now here's where the grapefruit comes in. I place the grapefruit on the hood every night as a peace offering. Works every time and I somehow wake up to my stubby still intact but the grapefruit is gone every time so I know it works.

You forgot the snorkel and avocado ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aerodynamics is my prime objective. I plan on racing this rig off the lot and if you're not first you're last.
Shake and bake. I like the 50 Cal one online. Let me know if it decreases radio station range. I may end up pulling the trigger

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to do the figure 8's in a parking lot to calibrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

-Stud finder
-Safety glasses
-Rubber mallet
-Grapefruit
-Lighter
-Hammer
-Vice grips
-Chanel locks
-Fire extinguisher
-3/8" wrench
-Staple Gun
-Locktite

With safety googles on, I proceeded to hammer the stock antenna to loosen the threads with the rubber mallet. It wasn't enough so I then proceeded to heat it with my lighter and use a real hammer for the remaining loosening. Once the threads have given way, I used the channel locks and vice grips simultaneously to loosen it further. Didn't work so I busted out the trusted stud finder. Once I found the weak point, I used the 3/8" wrench for the final loosening of the stock unit. Reference pic:

You see in the hood, you never know who's gonna walk off with your stubby. Now here's where the grapefruit comes in. I place the grapefruit on the hood every night as a peace offering. Works every time and I somehow wake up to my stubby still intact but the grapefruit is gone so I know it works.

No oxyacetylene torch needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk