How To Bed Bolt Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Got the T50 Plus from amazon. Went to Napa but didn't have any. I found that I had to take a hammer to get the T50 Plus to fit in snug. Torque all four (bed rack doesn't require all 6) to 59ft lbs. Good thing, cause it needed it on all of them.

It seems like one is somewhat stripped so I didn't force it to turn more. So what if the threads in the hole are stripping out, how to fix? It doesn't seem like the bolt to me.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got the T50 Plus from amazon. Went to Napa but didn't have any. I found that I had to take a hammer to get the T50 Plus to fit in snug. Torque all four (bed rack doesn't require all 6) to 59ft lbs. Good thing, cause it needed it on all of them.

It seems like one is somewhat stripped so I didn't force it to turn more. So what if the threads in the hole are stripping out, how to fix? It doesn't seem like the bolt to me.

@The Macf listed the part number, for the bolt, if that needs to be replaced. The nutsert/clip is part num7ber W708605-S436.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but can you replace the T50 bolts with hex bolts?

The dorman replacement bolts are HEX rather than torx, be warned you have to replace the nut clip also as they have different threads.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dorman replacement bolts are HEX rather than torx, be warned you have to replace the nut clip also as they have different threads.

RE Fasteners has some that worked. I saved them as spares just in case.

Rodbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had to remove my bed bolts to install a custom bed rack I purchased from a friend

One the must haves is the #50 Torx plus. I tried loosening the bed bolts first with s hand held impact driver didn't even budge them. Next I got the air impact out and no luck.

My buddy Pete said to try his cordless 1/2" drive impact. To be honest I was thinking how can this battery impact move these bed bolts of the air impact couldn't

Boy was I impressed when I fit the bit into the bolt and pulled the trigger. Bam the bolt was loose and backing out with ease. Did the next five like it was nothing.
b9a84d2e8e194877d8d8fcfc444cec97.jpg776afe341fee98f7aa6e92502e77f56b.jpgd0d51a8fd63682a14115920c154c8b2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Played this game today after working 24 hour shift yesterday. Thought I was being really productive on zero sleep, then I stripped two heads on these bastards. Forgot to send a thank you note to the dealer we bought our truck from that applied spray in bed liner over the bolts. :dickpunch: good thing the dealer down the street had 4 bolts available.

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this for chase rack install. Mix up a 50/50 of ATF and acetone or thinner. Spray the mixture under the bed at the speed nuts. The bolts will be pretty corroded and they 'cut' the threads into the speed nuts, so the threads may be galled. Use a breaker bar, I had 0 luck with an impact. Be sure to use the proper Torx bit also, it is a Torx Plus t50. A standard T50 will work but you risk stripping the fastener.